help with lighting

chasar

I am wanting to buy a light for a 55g and do not know where to start. It will not be a reef tank, as I will house fish. I want to be able to house anemones and some soft corals. Just something to give the tank some color and charecter. Mushrooms and such. Will a 2x65 watt light setup be sufficient? I am open to suggestions as I am new to lighting. Thanks

aquaguy24

havin even only 1 coral is considered a reef tank.. since u want an anenome.. ur going to need intense lightin..individual reflected T5's or MH is the way to go....

errattiq

+1 If you want to stay cheap your going to have to ditch the anemone idea... You can still have a soft coral or 2 and have them under power compact lighting. E-bay sells them dirt cheap....try there

chasar

Originally Posted by errattiq
http:///forum/post/2795986
+1 If you want to stay cheap your going to have to ditch the anemone idea... You can still have a soft coral or 2 and have them under power compact lighting. E-bay sells them dirt cheap....try there
any specific brand I should go for? How many watts am I going to need for the anemone's?

chasar

any feed back on an Odyssea 48" 260watt Power Compact with 2x65w PC bulb 12000k, 2x65w PC bulb true actinic, 4x bluemoon LED, built in fan Electric ballast individual cords and legs?

bizzmoneyb

if you want to go PC i have a 48" Coralife 260 watt 2 x 65 10,000k, 2 x 65 watt actinic w/ 4 moonlights i'd sell you for $160. message me if your interested.

aquaguy24

how long is ur tank.(36"?)..i'd go for 1 or 2x150w MH with some actinics if u want...don't do the cheap odyssea lights..they are crap..most ppl with those lights end up replace the ballast and bulbs...if u want to go T5's..google nova extreme pro or TEK lights..

aquaguy24

The Current USA Nova Extreme Pro T5 aquarium lighting fixture is for reef aquariums. With six 39 watt T5 bulbs (which have greater output watt per watt than competing technologies), and individually contoured reflectors, the Nova Extreme Pros have greater output than almost all non-metal halide reef aquarium lights. The relatively low heat output of the T5s along with the dual fans will keep this fixture running cool and minimize heat transfer to your tank. under $300..
For under $400 u can get 36 inch 6x39W Sunlight Supply Tek Light High Output Fluorescent Lighting Fixture.
Accommodates ultra efficient, high output T-5 lamps
95% reflective aluminum inserts that increase output by over 300%
The polished aluminum is bent into 4 parabolic shaped reflectors
Durable black powder-coat finish
Major brand, fully enclosed electronic ballasts
4, 6, & 8 lamp configurations
2 power switches on 4, 6, 8 lamp models for better lighting control—allows independent use of timers
Cool operation and NO noise
Complete line of German & domestic T-5 HO lamps available (purchase your choice of lamps separately)
Easy to reach On/Off illuminated switch
Optional easy to use adjustable cable hanging system with 8 ft cable
Sleek profile only 2.5 inches high
Convection vent allows maximum air flow
Rust proof aluminum body that is lightweight and heavy duty
Optional protective acrylic lens`s are available.
Optional mounting legs available.
Note: Bulbs are not included.

dwmcnic_stu

Originally Posted by aquaguy24
http:///forum/post/2796891
how long is ur tank.(36"?)..i'd go for 1 or 2x150w MH with some actinics if u want...don't do the cheap odyssea lights..they are crap..most ppl with those lights end up replace the ballast and bulbs...if u want to go T5's..google nova extreme pro or TEK lights..
I think most 55s are 48".

errattiq

I've had the 260 watt 48" odyssea light you described and have had no problems what so ever, excellent soft coral growth, excellent color.... I had one on my tank for 2.5 years with no ballast problem, I've actually never heard of that problem with them... Only thing I'd do is keep the moonlight pods clean as salt creep can rust the terminals and short the light out... If you really want anemone's, I'm selling a 400 watt metal halide right now on E-bay for $110, that will sustain anything you could ever want lol... If you want to see, brand new, comes with everything you need for reef/anemone setup including brand name bulb. Just search for my username on ---- (errattiq) or type in 400 watt metal halide... its there, its only got about 22 hours left, so check quick

aquaguy24

Originally Posted by dwmcnic_stu
http:///forum/post/2796906
I think most 55s are 48".
thanx for clearifying that....they also sell 48" versions of the lights i mentioned so no problems there...
odyssea lights i was talking about are the MH fixtures not the pc's..sorry i didn't mention that..

bravanc

I have the coralife 260 watt over 55 gallon and can keep softies, shrooms and leathers. Some are colorful enough to give you what you want. Anything more i would go with T5's or Halides

chasar

Just got home from work. Glad to see all the responses, much appreciated. Errattiq, I will go to ---- and check out the light. Unfortunately money is an option at this point. I will have to do some research on what everyone has been responding and compare. This is great for someone like me who learning, I am glad people are willing to take the time to help. All info is appreciated.

chasar

Originally Posted by errattiq
http:///forum/post/2796910
I've had the 260 watt 48" odyssea light you described and have had no problems what so ever, excellent soft coral growth, excellent color.... I had one on my tank for 2.5 years with no ballast problem, I've actually never heard of that problem with them... Only thing I'd do is keep the moonlight pods clean as salt creep can rust the terminals and short the light out... If you really want anemone's, I'm selling a 400 watt metal halide right now on E-bay for $110, that will sustain anything you could ever want lol... If you want to see, brand new, comes with everything you need for reef/anemone setup including brand name bulb. Just search for my username on ---- (errattiq) or type in 400 watt metal halide... its there, its only got about 22 hours left, so check quick

I couldn't find your sale. I can get the Odyssea for $120 shipped brand new. I am thinking this may be the way to go for now. I know that clowns have hosted different corals,a nd I know there are no definates, but will False Percs host any soft coral?

aquaguy24

yeah clowns can host many things other then anemones..i've seen them host shrooms xenia, colt coral, gsp, even sps corals..the hard part is getting them to host in the first place...before my clowns jumped out the tank.
.they were hosting my overflow box...

chasar

Originally Posted by aquaguy24
http:///forum/post/2797290
yeah clowns can host many things other then anemones..i've seen them host shrooms xenia, colt coral, gsp, even sps corals..the hard part is getting them to host in the first place...before my clowns jumped out the tank.
.they were hosting my overflow box...
That sucks about your clowns. They are the main reason I still have a tank. I have had my clowns for over 4 years. They have been in 5 different tanks, and I want to give them a good permanent home that has color and charecter. I am not sure what other fish I want to add for sure. I really want a Yellow Tang, but have heard different responses on housing one in a 55g. I also like the Idols, but would not risk them. I am thinking about the Heiniochus Butterfly, but have heard different responses on housing them in a 55g. I just want some active colorful fish. Any suggestions on stocking a 55? I only have my clowns in there now. Do not want aggresive fish.

aquaguy24

some type of goby...sixline wrasse...midas blenny..anthias...dwarf angel if u want to risk it....lots of choices..