Help with lights

cgr

I asked a few weeks ago for help in trying to slow down the growth of algea in my tank. I had just switched from CC to DSB and it was followed a series of algea blooms which my cleaning crew could not handle. When asked the question to how long I had my lights on, I said 12 hours. I received a series of replies telling me to reduce the time to 8 hours and that 12 hours was too much. My algea problem has been dratically reduced.
Recently, I read in this forum that lights should be on for 12 hours. I am really confused. Is it 8 or 12 hours?
I have two fixtures of smart lights of 96 watts each.
120 Gal FOWLR
1 Yellow tang
1 Blue tang
1 Sailfin tang
3 chromis
1 cleaner wrass
1 tomato clown
1 sleeper gobie
1 skunk cleaner shrimp
1 coral banded shrimp
2 peppermint shrimp
1 sandsifter star
emerald crabs, snails, blue and scarlet legged hermits
Ammonia 0, Nitrites 0, Nitrates 0, PH 8.2, Salinity 1.024
5+” DSB

cincyreefer

I would leave them on for 8 hours. That is more than enough time for the zooxanthelle to produce the needed glucose and will help cut down on algae. IMO, I would not leave them on more than 10 hours unless you have just the actinics on for awhile.

cincyreefer

just saw that you don't even have corals that require light. I would definitely only leave your lights on for 8 hours then. Fish dont need light, but it is good to have some consistency on the lighting patterns for them.

trilkin

I would leave them running at 12 hours.Arent your tangs eating the algea??Mine eat every last drop.....

beaslbob

Originally posted by CGR
I asked a few weeks ago for help in trying to slow down the growth of algea in my tank. I had just switched from CC to DSB and it was followed a series of algea blooms which my cleaning crew could not handle. When asked the question to how long I had my lights on, I said 12 hours. I received a series of replies telling me to reduce the time to 8 hours and that 12 hours was too much. My algea problem has been dratically reduced.
Recently, I read in this forum that lights should be on for 12 hours. I am really confused. Is it 8 or 12 hours?
I have two fixtures of smart lights of 96 watts each.
120 Gal FOWLR
1 Yellow tang
1 Blue tang
1 Sailfin tang
3 chromis
1 cleaner wrass
1 tomato clown
1 sleeper gobie
1 skunk cleaner shrimp
1 coral banded shrimp
2 peppermint shrimp
1 sandsifter star
emerald crabs, snails, blue and scarlet legged hermits
Ammonia 0, Nitrites 0, Nitrates 0, PH 8.2, Salinity 1.024
5+” DSB

Your lights should be on however many hours are necessary for your tank. if 12 hours causes algae blooms and 8 doesn't then it should be 8 hours.

tlk

Originally posted by Trilkin
I would leave them running at 12 hours.Arent your tangs eating the algea??Mine eat every last drop.....

I added 4 turbo snails to my 75g and they have eaten everything. They have an incredible appetite.

ajroc31

I think that all the people who who pick up this hobby have a responsibility to recreate the enviro. for our pets as closely as possible to nature. Sadly, lots of people just do it for looks, and they have 10 blue tangs in a 55 gal. tank, with not hiding spaces and lr, but they put some stupid diver with bubbles coming out of it. Most marine fish live in places where the sun is out for as many as 15 hours a day. Corals will know when enough is enough, and they will close up by themselves as my mushrooms do, at about 7 p.m. everday. My lights are on for 12 hours. I must admit that I do have large algea population, but it is an great source of food for my fish, crabs and snails. Remember that not all algea is bad. Green algea is ok, as long as it is not slimy. It really makes my lr look nice. So what that once ina while you have to clean the glass, thats why stores sell all those cleaning tools. If you are one of those people that ran to the store to buy a regal tang after seeing Finding Nemo, then I cannot help you and do not listen to me. Run actinic lights and you will never have an algea problem.

timsedwards

HI there,
Well firstly, what kind of algae are you getting? We need to know what kind as there maybe several causes.
My actinics are on 11am-9pm and mains 1pm-5pm. Everyone is happy with that :)
Tim.