Help with MH lights on a 120 gallon

bobtail107

Hello, I was just wondering if you all could help me. I have a 4' x 2' x 2' 120 gallon tank. I currently have 6 VHo's on top. Currently only 4 of them work, 3 white and 1 actinic. I just bought 2 175 watt MH lights. I need to know what else to put on the canopy with the 2 MH's? I would like to keep the VHO's because I have them. Just wondering what I should keep under the canopy. If it is needed, the mh's are 10,000 bulbs. Any help you could give me would be awesome. Also could you tell me the best way to set this up on he canopy.
Thanks
Jeremy

scsinet

I'd leave the 4 functional VHO bulbs in there and replace the bulbs with Actinic 03 bulbs. They will supplement the 10K halides very nicely and your corals will look awesome.

bobtail107

Cool. Thank you. Ans I can not have too much actinic light? Also, can you use 250 watt bulbs in a 175 watt ballast? Probably a dumb question but I figure it might be worth asking.

75bownut

Originally Posted by Bobtail107
Cool. Thank you. Ans I can not have too much actinic light? Also, can you use 250 watt bulbs in a 175 watt ballast? Probably a dumb question but I figure it might be worth asking.

The fast answer is no , not a stupid question, you would overdrive the bulbs and would either burst them or they wouldn't last very long at all. Always match the proper bulb to the ballast. :joy:

nakadoc

I got the same tank and I got 2 250 watt double ended MH and 4 110 watt VHO's 2 actinic and 2 white actinics works out nice. The VHO's come on at 11am until 8pm and MH at 1pm until 6pm.

bobtail107

Wow, i really never thought of a time thing. I have my VHO only at the moment. I get them to come on at 8am and off at 8pm. I have just ordered the 2 175 watt MH's. What kind of tie frae should I be using. What does everyone else set theres at.

nakadoc

Hey what ever works, stick with it is my opinion! If you got no problem with alge outbreaks leave it? If so cut back a little. I hope to get a dimmer for christmas to really get the dusk till dawn effect!

scsinet

I wouldn't say you'll have too much actinic. 2x175 is not an overly large amount of halide, so you'll be okay.
Someone already answered about the 250 on a 175 question, but if you have any more technical questions, I keep a halide FAQ on my website at www.davestanks.com, under "Articles and Help"

scsinet

Glad you liked it! I started it to answer all the questions I had when I started out with this stuff.