Help with moving, please advise....

sillynecco

Ill keep it simple. Im in MI and moving to Long Island, NY. I have a 75 and a 90g tank, and I am debating wether i should move the tanks to NY or sell them and start over in NY, if at all.
I would have to break down my 90 and transport the livestock, and im not really looking forward to that. Im not poor, but im not rich either, so selling the 2 tanks at a loss (because u never come out ahead) and then buy a new one out in NY goes against my Dutch tradition....
Any advice out there?
plus, moving is hard enough, let alone settin up a new fish tank on top of that.

prk543

Thats a lot of water :scared: , and your live stock is looking at a 13 hour trip. (thats from eastern MI, to Central Long Island) plus the time it takes for you to take down your tank pack everything up in your car, Long Island Traffic, etc.
I would see if you know anyone in the area who can babysit your fish for a month or two and ship them to you, that way you can just take the tank, your LR, and equipment. You wouldn't have to set everything up right away either.
If you are going to transport your livestock in the car for such a long trip, I would say put them in a few 5 gal buckets, (hopefully the water will be agitated a little by the movement of the car) and open up the tops every couple of hours to let air in.
My sister-in law transported a freshwater beta fish in a travel coffee mug from Long Island to outside of Atlanta when she and my brother were moving. Just remember to take the tops off every couple of hours

renogaw

fish and corals are shipped over night all the time, so some time in a bucket or a bag won't upset them. you can keep your rock and sand in totes with as much water as possible and you can prevent a huge cycle.
personally, i'd suggest selling the tanks and bring everything else.