Help with my clam!!

msb27

Two weeks ago I bought a 1" maxima. I cant seem to keep it off its side. If I put it on the rock work a few hours later it has fallen off or fallen on its side. If I put it on the sand bed, it falls on its side. I have not observed any tank mates harrasing it but I cant rule that out. I have witnessed it fallen on its own. With it being so small it has a small base, when a fish swims near, it closes swiftly and rocks (moves) and eventually falls over. I would like for it to attach to a smaller rock but cant seem to keep it right side up long enough for this to happen. I have tried to bury a rock just below the sand surface and putting it, but it just wont stay put. I need to make this clam happy in a hurry because part of its mantle is not coming out when the clam is open. I think its heath is going down hill from the stress. Any advise would be appreciated.
Thanks Scott

sheni_angel

I don't own my clams yet, but a little help from Robert Fenner. He says... 1 to 2 inch clams are highly resistant to the stresses of being shipped and relocated...but the primary drawback is just what you explained.
He says a simple solution is to create a small shallow bed of coral sand in a cleaned half shell from another clam or oyster. Nestle your new clam gently into this substrate and it should quickly settle in, usually attaching its byssal threads to the smooth inner shell of the nest you created. But then don't ever "rip" this connection later in moving.
Hope that helps you. They're beautiful and I wish you luck!:)

ed r

Assuming your lighting is good enough to reach the sandbed, keep him there. Press the hinge of the clam slightly into the sand. If he moves, it is because he wants to or the area you put him is uncomfortable (i.e. too much current, etc.). The clam can right itself and move around so if it is on a sandbed, there is little to worry about it hurting itself. Clams that small need to be fed at least a couple times a week. Mine is about 2-1/4" now, and I still take him out at least twice a week. I put him in a tupperware container of tank water with one capful of DTs. That tints the water light green. I leave him in for 40-50 minutes. Usually the water is pretty clear by then. Then I put him back on the sand bed. Make sure you keep the container somewhere where the temperature will not drop or rise substantially during that period. Also, the clam needs light to open and actively feed. The light for that period does not have to be MH intense. Just don't put it in a dark area.

adrian

It may also help place small pieces of rock under and around the clam to give it several choices for places to attach. Using a rock on both sides of the clam to keep it upright may also help. GL

j21kickster

Now i've heard that smaller clams are easier to keep than buying large ones, as far as acclimation. I have never purchased a clam over 4" but all of the younger clams do fine and i have had them for 2 years. I keep Ca levels above 400 and feed my whole tank DT's 2X a week and they have grown significantly.