Help with my Mandarin please

who dey

Originally Posted by cjason3041
hey scubadoo, and who dey.... does brine soaked in zoe do any more than potatoe chips?????,,, casue i would feel like xxx if that was all i ate!!
try and get him to take some mysis. your lucky he's taking in shrimp!!! some lfs have it and some don't

scubadoo

If your brine is soked in vitamins it helps...mysis soaked in zoe would be better.
If you have a fuge you can "harvest' pods in there. A few pieces of rubble rock and some macroalgae to satrt. Seed with some pods from on line or from a fish friend. After two to three months of reproducing they will migrate to the main tank and provide a daily supply of pods with little help from you...some will make their way to your main tank each day.

who dey

my lfs sells frozen mysis... i almost bought it.... but was unsure what it was!!!
good stuff

cjason3041

anyway... stst305.... main point!!!!! i got lucky mine eats brine.... listen to who dey... i have been reading this sit for some time.... and he KNOWS sw.... take the fish back, get a bigger tank, get it established, learn some more,.... then enjoy the mandarin...

statquo305

thanks for the information guys. i will be leaving tomorrow afternoon and will be back sunday. If he still looks good on sunday, i will try to buy some live shrimp, either brine or mysis and see how he takes it. From that point on, i will have to see how things go and let you guys know also.

who dey

anyway... stst305.... main point!!!!! i got lucky mine eats brine.... listen to who dey... i have been reading this sit for some time.... and he KNOWS sw.... take the fish back, get a bigger tank, get it established, learn some more,.... then enjoy the mandarin...
thanks for the compliment :) and listen t cjason take it back
i had a mandrin in my 120 i had 200lbs of live rock and the fish lived for 6 months. IMO they live for the same length of time as a new tank has been set up. tank set up 6 months my mandrin died - six months

cjason3041

well who dey you are welcome... i have learned alot from reading your posts... mine is in a 1 yr old tank.. he has been there about 1 month.... i hope i am not starving him.... but... we'll see.... i am praying for good times

who dey

your in great shape since he eats the shrimp. mine in my 120 didn't eat shrimp and my tank was underdeveloped. mistakes will teach sooooooo much :happyfish

cjason3041

i agree, we learn from mistakes... and that is why i love this site.... i have learned so much from you, bang guy, and of course ophiura

reborn258

Try putting some of the frozen brine on the rock work and sit & wait. See if it pecks at it or eats it. I slowly got my mandarin accustomed this way. After awhile it now practically eats out of my hand. I just got lucky. But everyone on this board is right you should wait until you get a larger tank with larger rock work and matured for about a year or so. A refugium for pod breeding is a must. I have a hang-on and I purchased pods and now they are well established. The brine should always be seen as supplementary feeding for the better of your mandarin.

scubadoo

This is why brine shrimp have little nutritional value.....
Brine shrimp lose a significant percentage of the original nutritional advantage. The shrimp use that nutritional value for their own development as it was intended, but because of their rapid development, musch of that value become waste into the water column. About 6-8 hours after hatching the nutritional value is gone.

puffer32

Well you were told to take it back, I knew it wouldn't last till sunday, shame your lfs should be shut down, I guess he suggested the mate huh? :mad: . right, 2 mandarins in a 10 gal :scared:

fishmamma

Ok, that makes me so angry. First off the fish should never have been sold for that tank, second off it should have been brought back following the advice on this board. That poor beautiful fish was taken out of the ocean to die. I hope many people read this post and learn not to trust everything you hear at LFS. I went to one and was told it could go in my brand new tank- I asked if it would starve and they said no. Luckily I did some more research and saw how many die in people's home aquariums. So sad.

hermitkrab

Well form what I have read you need at least 75 lbs. of live rock (I read this in several fish magazin with articles just about the mandarin). I would say you shouldn't think about getting a mandarin without...
1. A tank that is over 6 months old but a one year old tank is better
2. Your tank has 75 lbs. of liverock (this is the minimum)
3. Your pod popullation in your tank is so out of control it starts to eat your corals (this has happened in several cases that I know of).
4. You have a refugium.
I would say that a combonation of 1,2 and 4 would be the best way to care for a mandarin.

monalisa

Poor fish...

I have a question, what fish mags is everyone finding? I would be interested in finding something like that.
Thanks,
Lisa :happyfish