Help with my new yellow Wrass

senormatt

Hello All,
My yellow wrass has red marking at the base of his right fin, he won't use the fin at all anymore, it started 2 days ago. he eats flakes, but won't eat the brine shrimp. There is only hermit crabs, turbos, and a fire shrimp.
AMonia 0
Nitrates 0-5
Nitrites 0
PH 8.0
Salinity 1.26
ANy help would be appreciated. Also he has been only coming out from under the sand mid day and goes to bed at lights out. I have had him for a week.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
How long have you had this fish, and what are all of your water readings? Do you have water circulation going throughout your tank?
Start doing small daily water changes. Start feeding your fish better quality foods, as what they are eating now is like eating cheap hotdogs every day. You can make very good fish food yourself (see the FAQ Topic/top of this forum for ideas on this) or get high quality foods from your LFS that includes a variety of frozen foods. Offer food 2x a day.
Right now briefly soak all of your fish food in FRESH garlic and feed to fish. Fresh garlic has natural antibiotics which will hopefully aid in addressing the infection that your fish is getting. Also, there is info on feeding fish fresh garlic in the FAQ Topic.
Lets see if these measures will address it. If not, the fish will need quarantine and treatment with Maracyn Two for Saltwater fish.
Let us know your answer to the above questions.

senormatt

I was feeding him 2 times/day with brine and cyclops, he went belly up yesterday.
updated parameters
Ammonia 0
Nitrates 0
Nitrites 0
PH 8.0
Salinity 1.26
I'm going to look into this Maracyn Two.
Thanks,
MAtt

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Sorry to hear this, but, also, that diet is still no good enough. Brine has very little nutritional value.