Help with new maxima.

zanemoseley

I got a maxima today and its about 2" to 2 1/2" long. I need to know how long it will take till it attaches its foot to the rock I placed it on. I also bought a bottle of DT's today to feed it, whats the best way to feed it, right now its on the bottom of my 75, I have 2x250w MH's.

dburr

I need to know how long it will take till it attaches its foot to the rock I placed it on.
As long as it wants.:D If it likes the spot, it won't take long at all. But if it doesn't..... I guess nobody can really answer this question but the clam. It will help to put rocks on either side to prop it up and keep it from falling over. Not to tight so it can't open and close.
whats the best way to feed it,
Just feed the tank. Don'y try to shoot food in it's mouth, it'll just stress it out. Under 3" you'll need to feed it more often. Maybe every 2/3 days.
Dan

zanemoseley

Should I be ok to just dose the reccomended dose of DT's, to the prefer to be fed during the day or night. And lastly should I turn off my Euroreef before dosing the DT's. Will the bottom of the tank be ok while its small, I heard when the get bigger the get 100% dependent on lighting and may move it up then.

dburr

Dose per direction, anytime, day or night. Prolly wouldn't hurt to turn off the skimmer for 1/2 hour to an hour.
Will the bottom of the tank be ok while its small, I heard when the get bigger the get 100% dependent on lighting and may move it up then.
You want to put the clam where you want it. It doesn't like to be moved all around once it's in a spot it likes. Being small means it can't "produce" all it's food to keep it healthy. That doesn't mean it doesn't like light or to be feed food more than light. It just means it's growing fast and can't produce enough food. When it gets bigger it slows in growth rate and also produces more food, but at the same time doesn't need as much to keep itself healthy, thus is dependant more on light not food.
So, put the clam where you want it. It may or may not move, but the rocks on either side will help keep it there.
HTH

zanemoseley

I've got a small flat rock that will be "its" rock and if I want to move the coral I will move the entire rock, for now I'm leaving the rock on the bottom of the tank till the clam attaches to the rock.