Help with nitrates and phosphates

salt210

if I add the sand, how would I go about doing this with LR in the tank? Does around 350lbs sound about right for a 5in bed? I read on here about someone pouring the sand in through a pipe, sounds like a good idea. Im also worried about getting it in aorund the rocks and under them.

salt210

Originally Posted by schnutzzy
http:///forum/post/2692074
My substrate is live sand (about 1 1/2") 110lbs. of live fiji rock and a 20 gallon wet/dry (bio-balls removed) on a 72 bowfront with 2x250 MH lighting. I didn't use live rock rubble to replace the bio-balls because I have read on here they have to be cleaned just like bio-balls. My livestock is only 5 small fish to go with all my corals and a hermit crab 20 or so clean-up crew. I feed every other day and rinse all my food in salt tank water to help keep the phosphates down. Both of the LFS's I go to say that 20 nitrate is ok, but on this site all I here is everyone having 0 nitrates. I really think the differance is the sump/fuge idea. I have never heard on here of anyone with 0 nitrates that are running a wet/dry unless it has been modded to a fuge. Thanks for asking my input because I'm all ears if I can get the nitrates to 0.

Im not an expert, but I think that I remember that the sandbed would be better off being between 4-6in. maybe that will help you out. my major problem is probably that CC.

schnutzzy

I was told to look on the Drs. site and check out the inside the display tank refugium. It comes in 2 sizes and the small one is what I might get. It would hold the little bit of liverock, sand and chaeto that would do the job. If you have trouble with the info I gave you PM me and I will give you my email addy.

salt210

ill check that out when I get home. I have some room in my stand if I have to add a refuge just don't want it too crowded down there

salt210

yea I def agree with you there. what's the minimum that a sandbed should be? I read that it should be between 4 and 6 inches but I can't remember if a shallower one would work. I would only want to go max 3in inside the DT.