Help with NYC Fish Stores

mavgi

Originally Posted by drea
actually pets warehouse is the cheapest... i go to all the lfs's everyweek
ronkonkama has the cheapest inverts, warehouse usually cheapest fish, but best quality by far!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
i don't thimk that pet warehouse is the cheapest but it's a big space and you can see there a lot of fish , i like the shark that they keep there...
by the way from jersey city to the store it's about 50 - 60 mile the fish will blow out till he go back home...
i know that in the same highway east - 27 i think on the service rd after between exit 39-40 there is other store named jungel but his fish not in good quality if you like shark he keep them.
i'd like to get the store address in ronkonkama if you can i want to see what they have
thanks
michael

drea

i think the dude that said pets warehouse is small went to another store w/ the same name?
the one in ronkonkoma is right off exit 59 on the LIE then go south, it is located before the railroad tracks after the 711... very easy to get there... the inverts are awesome and cheap!!!
fish are really hit or miss big time.............

mavgi

Originally Posted by drea
i think the dude that said pets warehouse is small went to another store w/ the same name?
the one in ronkonkoma is right off exit 59 on the LIE then go south, it is located before the railroad tracks after the 711... very easy to get there... the inverts are awesome and cheap!!!
fish are really hit or miss big time.............

do you know when they get shipping ..... or if they have in stock all the time coral
thanks
michael

drea

ronkonkama will get a shippment sat... it differs all the time... pets warehouse gets regular shipments in according to what they sell out off... they have more coarls and such at petswarehouse..... i only go to ronk. for certain fish... i would take a trip and hit up both stores in one day... they are like 15 min apart

A

anthonynyc

Originally Posted by brolik1
Pets warehouse is by far the worst pet shop Ive ever been to besides *****.It is small and the shop looks unhealthy,you can just tell by the stink in that store.Personally I dont like it one bit.
I would have to disagree. I think Pets Warehouse has some of healthiest fish. I go there all the time. The place is HUGE not small at all. I think you might be referring to BTJ Jungle. I go to both very often and here is my feedback from a few stores in the NYC/Long Island area.
Pets Warehouse - I have never lost a fish from, each one I buy eats very well as soon as I bring them home. Their fishes are healthy and have a great selection. Everytime I go there, I get asked if i need help. Their employees are pretty cool. I just went there this weekend. I wanted to buy sand. The price on the sand was $38 for a 40lb bag of Carib Sea Aragonite. I asked the guy if I bought 4 bags, could he give me a better price. He came back a few min later and gave me them for $32 each which was pretty nice. This was at 8:30pm so I like the fact they stay open that late. I really have to say I like this place a lot. Another thing, I bought some astrea snails there for 75cents each. I bnought like $20 worth and they threw in a few extra. I bought a cleaner shrimp from a tank with a lot. I actually picked out the one I wanted and they guy was nice enough to keep trying to get that one which was a pain. Again, very nice employees. I was referred to them by a co-worker who has been into salt water for a long time and he also has tried a lot of places but likes them a lot. The only thing about Pets warehouse is there is water on the floor sometimes and it seems just a little dirty in the fish area at times.
BTJ Jungle - they are right down the block from me. I usually will go there after I buy my fish from Petswarehouse but just to look. They have a HUGE shark in a pretty big tank. They are a really small store. They just opened at a new location since the last one burnt down a few months back. I have never been asked if I need help with anything, not once. There is one guy that works there that seems the be annoyed if you ask him a question. I went there to check the prices on the sand and could not find anyone to help me, when I did, he pointed to the bottom of a shelf, not speaking a word, and walked away. They have a very small selection of salt water fish. When I was there this last week they had a huge powder blue tang infested with ICK. It was just sitting at the bottom of the tank and moving around slowly. I have never bought a fish there. Again they are very small but I know they are now setting up after the fire.
FishtownUSA - they are in queens, I believe Bayside. I like it there, they seem very knowledgeable. I went there a few times and again had a lot of employees asking if you need help. I saw one employee spend at least 20min explaining to a customer the basics of setting up a salt water tank. When I went there to get a yellow tang, the guy would not sell it to me since my tank was not cycled, I was pretty new back then. He advised to get a peice of live rock and start there and come back in a month. Good advice. A nice selection of both salt water and fresh water fish and a nice location. Very clean store!
Can anyone provide feedback about any of the other stores in Long Island?
Thanks,
Anthony

peter1215

Originally Posted by brolik1
Hey deez I live in the bronx,NY.There is a exotic fish store in yonkers,if you take the deegan to the bronx river.its called Jawz fish store,the guy has a 1,000 gallon tank with a baby shark from the movie jawz and another one its white and has black spots.The number is (914)345-5855.You have to see the beauties of Tanks he has there.a little overpriced but well worth it.Its b/c of people like him that makes you want to stay in this hobby.There is also pet goods in central ave,yonkers but their whole fish Dept is under construction b/c they are extending the store.

email me for more info at brolik1@aol.com
I use to buy fish from exotic pet warehouse about 5 years ago while i was still living in NY. do they still have a good selection ? I use to deal with a guy named Lou.

huntoaks

Lou still owns Exotic Pet in Yonkers. They have a very large selection and very reasonable prices. Plus...you can work with Lou on the price...he is happy to give you a better deal. It's just across the highway from the Yonkers Raceway.

huntoaks

Jawz is not in Yonkers, it is in Elmsford. Huge selection of Angels. They have a 16 inch Emperor there now in a 1000 gallon tank. They have at least 60 angels there any time I go. All different types. It seams they specialize in them. They also have some good corals.
There is a store in Mamaroneck, NY called NYAquaria. They have the lowest prices of them all!!! You gotta see their show tank. The nicest display of corals I have ever seen anywhere. This place KNOWS corals!!!!!

adamc1303

I am telling you guys Fish Expo has the healthiest fish. Go there late monday that when they get their fish. There are 2 owners and the coordinate to actually go to the supplier and hand pick the fish. They may seem a little pricey but habe the most exotic stuff. They also have a very nice tank show room on the second floor that has the latest technology for marine aquarist.

dragonzim

Originally Posted by drew2005
I know of a good store in queens. About 20 mins out of the city. FishtownUSA in Bayside.
A buddy of mine bought his LR there. Excellent prices!

dragonzim

Originally Posted by clown123
well if u wanted too one day you will wiast alot of gas but its worth it there are 3good ones that are really cheap its worth it here they are aqua hut in coram then fish and reef in lake ronkonkoma and then country kritters in coram all in suffolk li. o yea pets wearhouse is good they got big clowns there but are a lil pricy.
Country Critters is in Patchogue, not Coram and they are the most expensive store I've ever been in.

degbowl

Originally Posted by drew2005
Heres a few good ones in LI that i check out...Mutts N Butts in Merrick, Aquarium Adventure in Carle Place(excellent quality and selection), Pets in New Hyde Park, and Animal Tailz in Bethpage(formerly Pets).
I have been to all of them axcept animal tailz. My favorite is Aquarium Adventure. They have a website you can look at. The others are very good. Tropical Showcase on Old Country Road in Hicksville. About 10 minutes away from Aquarium Adventure.

gordie9

Originally Posted by HuntOaks
Lou still owns Exotic Pet in Yonkers. They have a very large selection and very reasonable prices. Plus...you can work with Lou on the price...he is happy to give you a better deal. It's just across the highway from the Yonkers Raceway.
Agreed. I called the other night to make sure he had a flame angel in stock. He said he had two left for $60, but he'd give it to me for $50. When I showed up a couple hours later he remembered me and honored the new price without me even having to mention it. It was my first time going there, but I'll be back
Also, I drove up from Manhattan and did the trip in 45 minutes round trip. Very convenient.

drew2005

Originally Posted by peter1215
does anyone have the web site for fishtown usa?
Just put a - between fishtown and USA

drew2005

Originally Posted by degbowl
I have been to all of them axcept animal tailz. My favorite is Aquarium Adventure. They have a website you can look at. The others are very good. Tropical Showcase on Old Country Road in Hicksville. About 10 minutes away from Aquarium Adventure.
I always forget about Tropical Showcase. I gotta stop in there and check them out.