Help with Power Heads

I have always had my power head on 24/7 I have been reading in other threads that they have their power heads on timers. Should I not run mine all the time? My tank is a fowlr. does this make a difference? I'm going to get a timer for my lights wonder if i should set it up for power heads also.

acrylic51

I see more disadvantage to that.....Depending on the PH's, but most of the PH's out there after awhile won't restart on their own, because they aren't designed for that on/off.....So I strongly disagree with that practice, but to each his own.....

acrylic51

If you spent the money on them don't put them on a light timer use the Koralia controller IMO....more money, but I'm pretty sure alot better features, than you'd get out of a simple timer....JMHO....

Not sure I had seen where some had theirs on timers so I thought maybe I was wrong to keep mine on all the time. So I thought since Acrylic 51 said to try a controller I would look in to a wavemaker.

2quills

I don't really see what the benefit of turning them off would be other than during feeding time and possibly to save a little bit on energy maybe? Flow helps break down organics in the tank and kick start the filtration process.
Wavemaking action I can certainly understand if you are keeping corals in order to help simulate a more natural environment for them...it's a good idea.

acrylic51

I'm just suggesting a controller, because I think they don't actually turn them off, but turn them down...... Even during feeding I could see shutting he main pump down, but in tank circulation should be fine....just me .02

2quills

For a FOWLR tank...you are probably just fine running them the way you have been...maybe just turn them off while feeding.
If you plan on keeping corals than a controler and or wavemaker would be a good idea.
My advice would be to save your money for now...maybe use it for something that you really need.

Thank I will just keep doing what i've been doing then save the money for my larger tank that I will need before to long. Just was making sure I was doing things right.Still new at saltwater.