help with pump choice thinking external???????

greg803

[hr]
which brand makes the least ammount of noise? Looking for something around 1200-1400 gph. any pros or cons also would help. I am running a wet/dry with my 150 gal tank

N

nemo_66

the aqua medic ocean runners are very very quiet, i have one and i dont hear a thing, even with everything off and just the pump on....

scsinet

Oh yeah.
They are very expensive
They require a drilled sump
Many might argue, but compared to a decent submersible, they are louder.
Advantages?

Much more poweful usually (higher pressure, less head loss)
Less heat transfer into the water (a very, very good thing)
Longer lasting
Serviceable
More Reliable

flyauburn

I'm also looking for the same kind of pump. Where do you all suggest one can get the best deal? Thanks.

saltfan

Quiet One Pumps
Model
4000 1017 GPH $84.99 50watts
6000 1506 GPH $92.99 140watts
Mag Drive Pumps
Model
MD9.5 950 GPH $73.99 93watts
MD12 1200GPH $106.99 110watts

thangbom

Originally Posted by SCSInet
Oh yeah.
They are very expensive
They require a drilled sump
Many might argue, but compared to a decent submersible, they are louder.
Advantages?

Much more poweful usually (higher pressure, less head loss)
Less heat transfer into the water (a very, very good thing)
Longer lasting
Serviceable
More Reliable

you dont need a drilled sump to run a external pump. you just need to plumb it right. just need to think about how 'u' tube overflow works, the main tank needs to be higher then the pump , then you prime the line that connect the sump the the pump, when power turns off the line will hold water just like a 'u' tube would
hope this simple pic works.. it might explain it better..

acrylic51

Originally Posted by ThaNgBom
you dont need a drilled sump to run a external pump. you just need to plumb it right. just need to think about how 'u' tube overflow works, the main tank needs to be higher then the pump , then you prime the line that connect the sump the the pump, when power turns off the line will hold water just like a 'u' tube would
Seems kinda pointless to do when you have to prime the thing........ :thinking: but your right it can be done......If you want quiet in a pump check out the Red Dragon pumps......Quietest pumps on the market.....I run Iwaki on my 300 setup and they are loud I've always been a fan of them until I started running my Sequence HammerHead, and you can't hear the thing....Check out Sequence if you want quiet IMO

rabid frog

I just went switched to an external pump on my 75. I could not be more happy with it. It does not make a lot of noise, hardly noticable unless you open up the cabinet. I went with a GEN-X 3,000. Cost about 130.00 the store I bought it from knocked off 10 bucks for the price of the bulk head. I drilled the Refuguim My self. It Was not difficult.
It took about 10 minutes to drill the acrylic Refuguim. All I did was take the refug. out and set it on the floor. Then took the pump and set it right against it with the 3/4'' plumping attatched and traced the outline for the bulk head. Then I drilled refug. installed the the bulk head and tested for leaks. Once you have no leaks put the refug. back and install the pump. Was very easy and I am not very handy at all when it comes to these things.
The hard part for me was trusting myself to drill a hole is a 150.00 refug. Once I got past that it was smooth sailing.
I will post some pictures of it once I ge home from work.

scsinet

Originally Posted by ThaNgBom

While this would work, you'd have to have some sort of mechanism for priming it, and if that pump ever draws air from the sump, possibly in your absence, the intake line would lose prime and you'd destroy your pump.

flyauburn

Originally Posted by SaltFan
Quiet One Pumps
Model
4000 1017 GPH $84.99 50watts
6000 1506 GPH $92.99 140watts
Mag Drive Pumps
Model
MD9.5 950 GPH $73.99 93watts
MD12 1200GPH $106.99 110watts

IMO, Quiet One 4000 sucks. The other day I turned it off so that I could do a water change and that was the last time it ever operated. I don't know what I did to it, but it never worked after that. I used it externally and it wouldn't push the water up to the tank after that. I assume that it burnt when I turned it off as the water flow came back from the tank thru it to the sump.

mbrennan

I've got a Quiet One 4000 HP that I got off the big auction site and a Quiet One 5000. Both work well, very quiet and will probably replace the 5000 with the 6000 eventually.

thangbom

actually i have never lost prime to the pump ever!!!! i only primed it 1x and that was it. even if the sump run dry it dont lose prime. reson for that is because the return like is a 1'' line that is 4'+ once i turn the pump off the water in the line will flow back and re-prime the pump like. hum.. well so in reallity i have lost prime but never had to re-prime it. and as for the running dry thing. it dont really happen because i have about 10 gallons to play with.. that the great thing when you have a 55 gal for a sump. and running dry dont really hurt my pump much. man i love Iwaki and it's magnetic drive.

acrylic51

I have to agree about the comment on the QuietOne pumps, and the Mags are close IMO.......For the money you spend and they heat put off.......Neither will match my Sequence. To make things bad you buy a bigger Mag I can get the Sequence Dart for $169.00.......Definitely a much better deal and pump, and can use that pump to run several things instead of several smaller pumps at that........

saltfan

Originally Posted by acrylic51
I have to agree about the comment on the QuietOne pumps, and the Mags are close IMO.......For the money you spend and they heat put off.......Neither will match my Sequence. To make things bad you buy a bigger Mag I can get the Sequence Dart for $169.00.......Definitely a much better deal and pump, and can use that pump to run several things instead of several smaller pumps at that........
This of course is all relative to the operating cost of your sequence on a daily basis. Which, as far as I've seen, the Ocean Runner 1700gph @ 95 watts is the only pump to beat out the Mag or the Quiet One for daily operating. And as well, I've had the 4000HH, with out problems or noise. You cannot run them dry, can not.....They will go up in a small puff of smoke as illustrated from the comments above.

acrylic51

Originally Posted by SaltFan
This of course is all relative to the operating cost of your sequence on a daily basis. Which, as far as I've seen, the Ocean Runner 1700gph @ 95 watts is the only pump to beat out the Mag or the Quiet One for daily operating. And as well, I've had the 4000HH, with out problems or noise. You cannot run them dry, can not.....They will go up in a small puff of smoke as illustrated from the comments above.
Your point on the ocean runner pump is good, but that pump can't be used to run the return, feed other items, because it just doesn't have enough juice to do that sort of thing.... Maybe you should do some good research on the Sequence line of pumps, because they are specifically designed to be throttled down with valves with no ill effects or damage to the pump and with the motors being throttled down it in turn causes the motor to downspin resulting in less electricity being used......As far as your ideas on run dry???????? :thinking: Shouldn't every happen, because if your system is setup correctly you have backup to prevent that from happening.....

crox

Originally Posted by acrylic51

Where can I get a DART at that price?