Help with purple corraline

N

newreefers

I have torn down my 125 tank with the two overflows in the back corners. My corraline was run a muck!!! I scraped it off the glass, however, it is in multiple layers on the plastic overflows and I can't get it scraped off. Does anyone know the secret to removing this???

N

newreefers

Will the vinegar soak into the plastic overflows? Don't want to put any chemicals in there that will hurt the future use of the tank.

polyformist

I normaly run my dishwasher (EMPTY 2 times through NO SOAP), Then I put my over flows in (NO SOAP AGAIN) run it on hottest setting, after first time, scrape, chip lightly, generaly abuse it a bit, then run again. Often times the motion of a Water Misser with steamy heat will help the break down proccess.
BTW I would use viniger unless your ready to kill aneanomies! :happyfish

polyformist

Originally Posted by acrylic51
Soaking in vinegar will work, and it won't harm your tank or leach out....
Good to know, but I wouldn't take the chance myself, A good ole hard plastic card and some elbow grease works wounders with that stuff.

acrylic51

Honestly what chance are you taking?????? :thinking: What do you think you soak your skimmer pumps and such in during their maintenance to remove calcium buildups? Vinegar.....

bonebrake

Vinegar is great to clean coralline build up and any remaining vinegar that would manage to stick after you wash it will be completely harmless. Use distilled white vinegar.
:joy:

hatessushi

Honestly what chance are you taking?????? What do you think you soak your skimmer pumps and such in during their maintenance to remove calcium buildups? Vinegar.....

I use vinegar to clean all aquarium equipment. I also use it to clean the dishwasher and coffeemaker of buildup.