Help with readings-experts

ll206

I need help with my readings with 40g FO tank
AMMONIA NITRITES NITRATES PH
4/16 0 0 2.5 8.2
4/27 0.25 0.25 10 8.2
4/29 0.25 0.50 15 8.2
5/1 0.25 1.5 40 8.2
I am really paronoid about my tank, please help. Are nitrates too high. I am also using the supplement CYCLE. If normal, how long till fully cycled? Water change?

T

the new guy

Have you ever had a higher Ammo spike?
I am no pro but, Assuming you have had a Ammo spike and with your Nitrites still climbing and your Ammo at .25 I would say you are still cycling. How long has the tank been up?
When you get done cycling you should have 0 Ammo and in my tank I also have 0 Nitrite; My Nitrates are still climbing. Your PH looks good mine stays around 8.2.
I would be worrying about the Ammo; I think your Nitrates are still ok.
List your set-up and maybe the "sharks" can give you some better info.
[ May 01, 2001: Message edited by: The New Guy ]

kingbrd1

Sorry not an expert, but did you start the tank on the first day? that 4/16 or whatever? It can be as short as 5 days or as long as a month or 2. This is just from reading the board. Hope this helps a little.
King

Just a caution, It has been rumored that if you add cycle to your tank and it has not been refrigerated that you are basically adding pure ammonia. I used this stuff once and really didnt see any added benefits. I am doing a little tthis weekend to determine if the ammo rumor with cycle is true. will post it when done. gl!

Also, if it is A FO tank than the nitrates are not bad, might cause problems in a reef, but in my FO I constantly carry a trate level of 30 or higher. Using LS and LR instead of CC will drastically reduce your trates.

ll206

I think that the supplement is controlling the ammonia spike. At least that what it says int he instructions. Yes, 4/16 is when I first put my damsels in my tank.
[ May 01, 2001: Message edited by: LL206 ]

We started our tank 1/1/01 and it took about six - seven weeks to cycle. Your ammonia and nitrites are doing what they should and a few of your pioneer fish will not make it. One day the ammonia and nitrites will drop, possibly to zero but the nitrates will stay up there. As someone else said, nitrates will be higher with cc and not a problem with fish only.
Water change - you can but it will probably slow down the cycle because it will reduce the ammonia available for the bacteria so the bacteria will not populate as fast as it would if you just let the ammonia climb.

mr . salty

Looks to me like you have a pretty normal cycle going on there.I would not touch the tank till it's done.Any water changes or chemicals you add to reduce these readings will only result in a linger and more stressfull cycle.It MUST be allowed to do it's own thing here.Patience is the key.

nomar g

Over the course of a "normal" cycle, ammonia levels will peak @day 10, nitrite levels will max out @day 28 and from there nitrite will gradually fall to zero as nitrate levels slowly rise. Sorry, but "Cycle" is a product that is widely considered to be useless.
As Mr. Salty said, let nature take it's course and you will be fine. One other thing, it is NOT inevitable that ANY of your fish will die during the cycle. I am convinced that the main reason so many Damsels die during the cycling is their inability to co-exist in a limited environment as opposed to the toxic tank conditions killing them. If you keep a close eye on what is happening in your tank, and maybe even change a little water if the fish are hurting (yes, this may slow down the cycling procees, but it could save your fish), all inhabitants should survive. Of course that is assuming that they don't kill each other. Good luck!