Help with Red Slime *ASAP* growing on to my coral

bigmick88

Hello, my tank is only a couple of months old and I'm beginning to have my second red slime algae bloom. It is beginning to grow on my encrusting gorgonian rock and it is irritating it. What do I do to fix this? Should I try The red slime remover chemical? I don't want my corals to start getting overly irritated. Can some one please help? Thank You!
Water Quality =:
Nitrate : 0-5
Nitrite : Undetectable
Ammonia: Undetectable
Phosphates: 0
PH: 8.4
Temp: between 76-82 throughout the day it gets warmer gradually... heater is set to 76 for night time.
Lights are on from 9-9 (could it be too much light?)

t316

Cut down the light time by at least 2-3 hours, then gradually bring back up after problem solved. Personally, I would not add any additives to such a new tank. Do water changes, and then some more water changes, then some more....It will stabilize and slowly go away.
(Did I mention "water changes"?)

bigmick88

Ok... wil do, hwoever, what about for my gorgonian? should i try to rub of the red slime that is growing on it? For the first time ever, today at around 5 o clock it went in and didnt come back out. it seemed highly stressed from the algae, i could only assume

t316

Originally Posted by Bigmick88
http:///forum/post/3107454
Ok... wil do, hwoever, what about for my gorgonian? should i try to rub of the red slime that is growing on it? For the first time ever, today at around 5 o clock it went in and didnt come back out. it seemed highly stressed from the algae, i could only assume
Just before, and during, the water changes, use a turkey baster to "lightly" blow the algea off of any corals, rocks, etc., and suck it out with the water you are removing. The red slime will come back, over and over, but after a few days to a week, you will notice it going away for good.

t316

What kind of water movement do you have in there, such as powerheads, returns, etc.? To keep this stuff away, you do need some flow going on.