help with royal gramma PLEASE!!

msmith13

I just added a clown, yellow tang, royal gramma, anemone, and some kind of coral to my tank today. The royal gramma is hiding and swimming up to the top looks like maybe to get air, is this normal or is there something I should be doing?:help: :help:

S

spike_501

you have added far to much in one go, i think that you will experience nitrite and maybe ammonia rises in the next few days, u may lose stock. this should not really effect the royal gramma, sounds like there may be insuffiecent oxygen in the tank, have you got much flow in the tank? i make my outpipes from my filters at the waters surface so that oxygen absorbtion is maximized. i would most definately feed them as little as possible in the next week and if this is a new tank then the filter may be stressed far too much and you may lose stock, its best to be patient with marines and add one thing to the tank per week. hope i have helped! and beware with anaemones, if your lights arnt strong enough or water quality deteriates (which should happen to you) then the anenome will not die straight away (as i found out the hard way) it will rot from the inside i was told , my tank that was quite stable normally but had traces of ammonia in the water and we was told that it was because our lights was not strong enough to maintain the anamone and that it was rotting. so please keep very close tabs on the thing and if it starts to look sick GET IT OUT!! or you may lose everything

msmith13

THE TANK IS ABOUT 7-8 WEEKS OLD, I KINDA LOST COUNT. I ACTUALLY JUST GOT BACK HOME AND HAD TO TAKE ONE OF THE DAMSELS OUT BECAUSE IT WAS ATTACKING EVERYONE ELSE IN THERE. IS THERE SOMETHING THAT I NEED TO ADD TO TRY TO KEEP THESE GOING?

meltonius

As an aside to the previous posts; royal grammas can be shy. It took mine a few days before I saw him on a regular basis. Now I will see him more, although he does take shelter under rocks, etc. If you have read other posts on gramma's you will find that some are more shy and some are more social. FYI

jonny bolt

I see your list in your first post, and it doesnt include the damsel you mentioned, obviously you have more than you just added. You may have too many fish in that 30 gallon tank. The bio-load is crushing I bet, especially since you added all that stuff at the same time.
I agree that you should add 1 fish a week in order for the tank and the biological filter to acclimate to the new stock. Pumping half a dozen live animals into the tank at the same time spells D O O M. I also agree that you can only fit so many animals in a 30 gallon tank.
Do your water tests, and see what they say. You may need to get some Ammo-Lock or something because your ammonia is probably rising.

msmith13

THE DAMSELS WERE THE FISH THEY GAVE AS MY STARTER FISH. THEY(2) HAD BEEN IN THERE ABOUT TWO WEEKS AND WERE FINE UNTIL I ADDED THE OTHER FISH. I REALLY WISH THEY WOULD'VE SAID SOMETHING AT THE STORE BECAUSE I JUST PUT UP A NEW POST BECAUSE I THINK MY ANEMONE IS EATING MY CLOWN NOW!! FRUSTRATION!!!!!!!

msmith13

THANK YOU EVERYONE! THE GRAMMA IS DOING BETTER THIS MORNING, HE'S MOVING AROUND ANYWAY! OF COURSE THIS MAY BE TO GET AWAY FROM THE ANEMONE THAT I THINK IS EATING MY CLOWN IF ANYONE KNOWS ANYTHING ABOUT THAT I COULD RALYY USE SOME INPUT. I SAID IN MY OTHER POST ABOUT IT I'M SO "NEW STUPID" I REALLY COULD USE ALL THE HELP I CAN GET GET. IF THERE IS ANYONE OUT THERE THAT COULD GIVE ME SOME ONE-ON-ONE INSTANT MESS. HELP I REALLY REALLY REALLY COULD USE IT. OR IF THEY KNOW SOMEWHERE I CAN GOT TO GET IT.:confused: :notsure: :thinking:

jonny bolt

It's normal for that Gramma to be shy. ESPECIALLY if he's in a tank with a damsel. Gramma's will actually move rubble, much like a Goby, in order to build a fort under live rock etc. Not sure what type of Damsel's you have, but they are almost certain to harrass the Gramma, and probably the clown too.
I also think that Yellow Tang could easily outgrow your tank.
The amount of pressure youi put on the animals through bio-load can be tremendous. If you see any fish swimming to the top, arractic breathing, and sore gills, then your fish are probably suffocating due to ammonia and/or nitrites.

fishieness

are you sure the anenome is eating the clow fishie? It jsut might bge that the clown has found a comfortable plcae to call home. What type of clown and anenome do you have?