Help with setup

krazykarel

Hi all,
Just got a 50g + corner tank and I don't remember how to set up the plumbing!!!
I have two Rio pumps (2100 & 2500), a long white tube with some sort of valve, and a black tube with a plastic doohickey on the end. I am a dunce I admit and need help :) Here are a couple of pics:

krazykarel

Well thanks for looking anyway :)
Any ideas guys? I understand the hose coming from inside the tank, I just need help figuring out the return.

mkroher

no, they can't be used for both. they are not powerful enough. powerheads are used for flow in the aquarium.
how about a picture of the tank. I assume it's a built in overflow in the corner?
You'll want a pump rated for about 700GPH. with a 4-5 foot head, it should bring it down to a rate your overflow can handle. Maybe an even smaller pump than that.
pictures please.

krazykarel

So I need a return pump (which I can submerge in the right side of the sump). What do I need and where do I connect the following:

mkroher

the first picture looks like the return line. That thing with the arrow on it is probably a check-valve, which only allows water to flow in one direction.
I'm not sure what the second picture is... looks like a reactor, or a weird looking protein skimmer. *shrug*
For now, all you need is a return pump to get started. Use the hose with the check-valve.. make sure it IS actually a check-valve.
If you have a power outage, you will siphon water from your tank out onto the floor
A check-valve will prevent this from happening.

krazykarel

Roger, thank you I will do that. That second picture is an HOB protein skimmer (venturi). I'm off to the LFS to get a return pump and plastic hose clamps.

mkroher

ok cook.. you can put that HOB protein skimmer in your sump..
i drew an arrow where to put one of those power heads.

krazykarel

Btw, I looked up the Rio 2500 and it's rated at 782 gph, the bummer, it's not working well :)
Again, thanks for your help...after I work on this and get it going i'll have some questions about setting up the lighting.