help with shoal tang

jimbo449

Every time I feed my fish me Shoal Tang won't let the Blue Hippo and the Yellow tang eat anything. I took a good look at them today and they are really losing weight. Anybody have any suggestion on what I can do:confused:

nicetry

This not uncommon for sohals. They are very territorial, particularly towards other tangs. What you're seeing is the sohal asserting dominance. This probably won't stop. W/O knowing the size of these fish, I can tell you that you're going to have some problems with crowding and aggression in time, and you're already seeing that. Sohals will grow to over a foot and really need very large systems. If your other fish are suffering, you may consider removing the sohal.

jscarb2

those 3 in a 90 are way to much.the sohal needs a 180 at least.that is really the only way to help the other 2 tangs

marineman

:nope: Your hippo and yellow tang are going to die of starvation if you do not act soon. tangs need to eat often as they are constant grazers in the wild. You will need to remove the sohal or find a new home for the yellow and hippo tangs. A tank divider is a quick but temporary solution.

jimbo449

I agree with all of you. Does anybody have any suggestions on how to catch him. He's very smart and fast. He see's that net and won't come out from behind the rock. I have tried several time to corner him with no luck. This is the first mistake I made with this tank. I got caught up in is beauty at the LFS with out doing my home work on him:notsure:

marineman

:nervous: Get a tank divider and try to isolate him in the smallest possible section of your tank. If rock is in this section it may need to be temporarily removed inorder to net him. Fish are very easy to add but removal is both difficult and has its many risks. thats why researching before buying a fish is vital.

jscarb2

Originally posted by jimbo449
I agree with all of you. Does anybody have any suggestions on how to catch him. He's very smart and fast. He see's that net and won't come out from behind the rock. I have tried several time to corner him with no luck. This is the first mistake I made with this tank. I got caught up in is beauty at the LFS with out doing my home work on him:notsure:

i have caught a few fish with a clear glass pitcher or something like that.they dont see it and i case them with the net into it. hope this helps.
by the way if you are going to get rid of the sohal email me i am in nc we might be able to work out something.i lost my sohal in the 180 after the chiller broke.been wanting another one. jscarb2@aol.com

jimbo449

no I have not caught him yet. This guy is good he can see me coming across the room. What I have been doing for now is spot feeding the other tangs and they are starting to look a little better. I guess right after the holidays I'm going to have to dismantle the tank a little to catch him. If and when I catch him I will let you know and If your still interested in him we'll work something out.