help with starting reef.

marko

i have a 29 gallon fish. the lights i'm using are a 50/50 and marine-glo. each one gives off 20 watt per light. i have a skimmer wet/dry filter, and a small bio-wheel. is this any good for a reef tank.

mikeyjer

Originally Posted by marko
i have a 29 gallon fish. the lights i'm using are a 50/50 and marine-glo. each one gives off 20 watt per light. i have a skimmer wet/dry filter, and a small bio-wheel. is this any good for a reef tank.
You need better lighting to get into some of the corals. At least a PC or a T-5. :happyfish

marko

so how many watts should i have a 29. and i was woundering of how much live rock should i put in it.

sharkbait9

Originally Posted by marko
so how many watts should i have a 29. and i was woundering of how much live rock should i put in it.
5 watts per gallon equaling 145 watts. A pound and half to two pounds of live rock 43.5 lbs to 58 lbs of live rock.

mag395

The wattage really depends on the type of lighting you have. That is to say that 100 watts of Metal Halide is not equal to 100 watts of Power Compact or VHO. For a 29, I'd go with either ~250 watts of PC or VHO or like 150 or 175 watts MH plus PC or VHO to add more color. Keep in mind that some corals and animals require MH such as clams, anemeones, and high light corals.
Here is a link to the lighting archive: https://www.saltwaterfish.com/vb/showthread.php?t=170123
As far as the LR, most recommend 1-2lbs per gallon. I'd start with like 30lbs because if you add corals, some of them will come with their own rocks.

mag395

If you have the money go for it. They are good to hide the equipment and you can always use them if you upgrade.