Help with sump and fuge for 55 gallon?

mimo

Hello. I have a 55 gallon tank that I'd like to add a sump and fuge to. The bottom cabinet is 46x11x26 (L x W x H). This leaves me with very limited tank options. I can go with either a 10 gallon (20x10x12) or a 15 gallon (20x10x18). I'd like to have a seperate sump and fuge. Maybe a 15 gallon sump with a 10 gallon fuge? Any combo that you guys think will work is good for me. My 55 is not drilled so I'll have to use an overflow box. I know small tanks like 10's and 15's can't be drilled. How would I plumb these together? Can anyone give me some ideas? It would be very appreciated. Thanks!
Dom

rsd

I'm not sure about drilling small tanks. haven't tried it yet.
For a while I had an odd size area for my sump... instead of using a pre manufactured tank I built what I wanted with 1/4 inch acrilic from good old Home depot.
I used the correct acrilic cement (can't remember name now) and 100% silicone aquarium sealant. Worked great. Cost a little more but was worth it.
BTW... if you do any repairs with silicone... always use 100% silicone. I would even recommend ALWAYS useing aquarium silicone since the manufacturers of generic silicone (non food grade, non aquarium) do not have to state ANY changes to their product... including antibacterials.
Hope that helps.

obtusewit

Call a local acrylic fabircator. I f you can't find one, call a sign company and they can tell you where to go. I had a sump put together here in San Antonio that was 42L x 10 W X 20H, 1/4" acrylic. The bottom and ends are one piece of plastic, bent on a 1 inch radius in the corners with flat sheet for the front and back. Two internal baffles one flows over, one under. Total cost was $85 bucks. 100% leak proof with no sillicon.

mimo

All I'm able to fit under the stand are two 10 gallons. I already drilled a drain hole in one of them with a dremel last night. It was very easy and took me about 20 minutes. My Remora Urchin, Mag 7, and Amiracle overflow are all gonna be here tomorrow so then I can figure out where to put the baffles.
Does anyone know if Home Depot cuts glass? :notsure: