Help With Sump Set Up Please!!

Ok, finally, I have bought a Octopus 150 recirculating skimmer, it arrived Tuesday this past week, I also purchased a 30 gallon long aquarium, have ordered and should be here the 17th the following: a mag 12, a dual over flow box by ehopps, which does 900 gph, two returns that are 3' wide. The pump on the skimmer says it does 500 gph. I have researched and researched and I can't understand if the skimmer flow rate adds into all this. I can use a ball valve to cut down on the flow of the mag 12 if you all think this is too much from the mag 12, I was afraid I wouldn't have eneough flow rate with the mag 9. Also, I am wanting my dual over flow to go straight into the skimmer, which will be out of sump, setting next to my sump and under my tank, which is a 110 gallon. Am I on the right track here? I know these are silly questions, but I am so at odds with all of it and want to make sure my plans so far are ok. The skimmer will drain into the first area of my sump, then the bubble trap, then the fuge and finally the return. Also, there were no instructions with my skimmer, just a less then idea diagram of how to put it together. I have searched the internet in depth for details on how I can plumb this and find none. Thanks for any help! Brenda

bgbdwlf2500

not an expert so i could be wrong... the skimmer cant be plumbed from the over flow...the skimmer needs a place where it can pick up still water...for example, my sump has a bioball chamber where the water from the return goes. in the next section i have live rock but the water level never changes and thats where the skimmer is. and in the 3rd section is the return pump where the water level does change...
my opinion is that the skimmer must have a constant supply of "still" water...i dont think it will work if its plumbed into moving water...

mr_x

a skimmer will skim the water that is available to it. it doesn't matter if the water is moving fast or slow, it will still take in the amount the skimmers' pump is rated for.
i don't have the overflows plumbed into the skimmer, but instead they just pour into the first chamber of my sump where the skimmer sits.
this method has worked well for me.
i've never directly fed a skimmer from an overflow, so i'm sorry i can't help you with that.

bgbdwlf2500

Originally Posted by Mr_X
http:///forum/post/2646462
a skimmer will skim the water that is available to it. it doesn't matter if the water is moving fast or slow, it will still take in the amount the skimmers' pump is rated for.
i don't have the overflows plumbed into the skimmer, but instead they just pour into the first chamber of my sump where the skimmer sits.
this method has worked well for me.
i've never directly fed a skimmer from an overflow, so i'm sorry i can't help you with that.
youd have to feed it to the pump and my thought is that the pressure from gravity would just push the water through and it would never skim...sounds like to me it would push water straight to the collection cup

thats why the skimmer needs a constant level of water because the pump is what makes it work

Oh no! i What am I going to do now for my plumbing? I thought I could go straight from over flow to skimmer! Oh no! This has to be in line plumbed as there is no room for it in the sump. Can you guys and ladies help me out here please? The way it has to run as far as I can tell, looking at it all from the front of the aquarium, is sump sets as far to the left as possiable underneath the cabinet, then the skimmer sets all the way to the right and not much room inbetween these two at all. So its back to the drawing board for plumbing plans and I have been on this sight since 4 this morning trying to find a skimmer plumbed outside the sump and found some things but not how to tie it all in. Oh my, I feel defeated. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks, Brenda

Well, do you think could I purchase a pump that does 500 gph to match the octopus 150 recirculating pump and use that, and if so, where would I put that pump in my sump? Thanks so much for the input so far. Thanks, Brenda

bgbdwlf2500

is it possible you could put the octopus pump in a section of the sump and just plumb it to the skimmer? as i said i dont know for sure but i think that a pump has to "feed" the skimmer...if you use gravity the skimmer will have no control of the water...
hate to say it but maybe a different skimmer?

I have heard nothing on here but over skim over skim and wanted a Euro reef and and went to order and they no longer sell them, did hours and hours of research and settled on the octopus recirculating 150 . So, your telling me to send this one back and get another? I have 30' under my stand, top to bottom. Which one should I get? Oh my word, I feel like giving up on the sump idea all together, and just use two hang on back filters. I understood I could install this in or out of sump, is that wrong? How do I install out of sump? I feel like just returning all this stuff and getting the hang on backs, and I don't want to do that as I want a nice clean system. But if that is all I can do, its all I can do. Thanks

bgbdwlf2500

Originally Posted by findingnemo2
http:///forum/post/2646997
I have heard nothing on here but over skim over skim and wanted a Euro reef and and went to order and they no longer sell them, did hours and hours of research and settled on the octopus recirculating 150 . So, your telling me to send this one back and get another? I have 30' under my stand, top to bottom. Which one should I get? Oh my word, I feel like giving up on the sump idea all together, and just use two hang on back filters. I understood I could install this in or out of sump, is that wrong? How do I install out of sump? I feel like just returning all this stuff and getting the hang on backs, and I don't want to do that as I want a nice clean system. But if that is all I can do, its all I can do. Thanks
does it have a way to hang on the sump? my skimmer, Coralife Super skimmer could be hung on the tank or mounted in the sump. usually to mount in sump, you have to have as stand for it to sit on...i just hung mine from the side wall of the sump and got tubing long enough to allow the pump to go low enough for it to to work. the way i see it, if you had a hole in your sump that was connected to the pump for the skimmer would be your out of sump mounting just like if you had an external return pump... my setup is an internal return pump where the pump sits in the last chamber of the sump and is submerged.
i only suggested returning the skimmer because you didnt have clear instructions on setting it up and then you could get a different one that would work in your setup and have the instructions to set it up
also, the way you have planned is the way to go, you just need to work the bugs out..i would not recommend giving up and going HOB's

I want to start this out by saying thanks for the help bgb and I see what you are saying. I have emailed the company I bought it from and maybe, just maybe they can mail me some instructions. I will have to have this setting inside my stand next to but outside my sump. I cannot hang it, it is huge. I have been reading and reading and reading and reading and I think or it seems..... after all that reading on this sight, I could just buy another pump to use for the skimmer. Now, let me ask you this, if it says I need a pump to use with this rated at 1.5 times my tank size, that would be 160 for my 110, is that right? Thanks to all who have helped. I took a supper break and feel a bit more positive. Ok, one more thing, the recirculating pump that came with it does 500 gph. Thanks again! Brenda

bgbdwlf2500

Originally Posted by findingnemo2
http:///forum/post/2647082
I want to start this out by saying thanks for the help bgb and I see what you are saying. I have emailed the company I bought it from and maybe, just maybe they can mail me some instructions. I will have to have this setting inside my stand next to but outside my sump. I cannot hang it, it is huge. I have been reading and reading and reading and reading and I think or it seems..... after all that reading on this sight, I could just buy another pump to use for the skimmer. Now, let me ask you this, if it says I need a pump to use with this rated at 1.5 times my tank size, that would be 160 for my 110, is that right? Thanks to all who have helped. I took a supper break and feel a bit more positive. Ok, one more thing, the recirculating pump that came with it does 500 gph. Thanks again! Brenda

no problem...the pump you already have should be fine, is there any way you can just plumb it into the inlet side of the skimmer from the sump? As i said,with mine i just needed a longer piece of flexible tubing that allowed me to drop the pump lower into the water because the factory piece of tubing was too short. the pump actually hangs from the tubing it doesnt mount anywhere. i dont really understand why the flow rate of the pump for the skimmer would matter. if its in the sump and has a constant supply of water it should be fine. i had my skimmer on a 55g in my sump and now ive gone to a 120g using the same sump and the skimmer works the same... Im not familiar with a recirculating skimmer, for all i know mine is one but i dont think so...

coralgal28

Okay, I have been lurking on this site as a guest for little over a year now and I have now officially come out of lurking to help you!

You have had a response close enough to the answer, but I am going to tell you exactly how to do this. Many people (unfortunately) have under par skimmers, not that in sump skimmers are under par, but you have an EXTREMELY nice skimmer which requires special plumbing.

First, get a Mag 1.9 pump..put this pump into where your overflow drains into your sump. This is also where your skimmer will put the water back into your system (in the same section that the pump is pulling the water to the skimmer). You will need to plumb the Mag 1.9 to your skimmer's intake. You will need to have a tube on the skimmer's outlet to put the water back into your sump (the same area the water is being pulled from). Huge pipes come with this skimmer for this purpose. Simple, yes?

Many do not understand that the skimmer isn't going to be on the outside of your stand to be seen, or on the back of the aquarium. Frankly put, these skimmers are HUGE and I am lucky enough to own one also. This is the way that I have mine set up and it is wonderful!!
In one of your posts you said something about reading and reading and reading...been there done that
! With this problem solved you are on your way to a FANTASTIC sump set up with a cleaner tank and happier occupants. Way to go on your choice of skimmer, your reading and research did pay off in that reguard because you have bought the best of the best for the money. Good luck!!

bgrae001

Originally Posted by CoralGal28
http:///forum/post/2648904
Okay, I have been lurking on this site as a guest for little over a year now and I have now officially come out of lurking to help you!

You have had a response close enough to the answer, but I am going to tell you exactly how to do this. Many people (unfortunately) have under par skimmers, not that in sump skimmers are under par, but you have an EXTREMELY nice skimmer which requires special plumbing.

First, get a Mag 1.9 pump..put this pump into where your overflow drains into your sump. This is also where your skimmer will put the water back into your system (in the same section that the pump is pulling the water to the skimmer). You will need to plumb the Mag 1.9 to your skimmer's intake. You will need to have a tube on the skimmer's outlet to put the water back into your sump (the same area the water is being pulled from). Huge pipes come with this skimmer for this purpose. Simple, yes?

Many do not understand that the skimmer isn't going to be on the outside of your stand to be seen, or on the back of the aquarium. Frankly put, these skimmers are HUGE and I am lucky enough to own one also. This is the way that I have mine set up and it is wonderful!!
In one of your posts you said something about reading and reading and reading...been there done that
! With this problem solved you are on your way to a FANTASTIC sump set up with a cleaner tank and happier occupants. Way to go on your choice of skimmer, your reading and research did pay off in that reguard because you have bought the best of the best for the money. Good luck!!
Got a pic? I want to see how this is plumbed.

Thank you coral gal! Am I understanding you right: Of cource we know the skimmer will be under the stand, setting next to the sump, then, (deep breath) I take the mag 1.9 and plumb it to my skimmer and set the mag in the sump where my over flow from my DT comes in, then, I run the return from the skimmer into the same area to distribute thru my sump and to the mag 12? Is that right? I am very proud of the skimmer, I had my heart set on a euro reef and when I got ready to order the place I was going to order it from no longer carried them, so I called around and the closest place to me was up in Garland and would not mail it to me, so, needless to say it was back to researching, which I had spent countless hours doing to decide to get the euro reef skimmer. I set this tank up last year in August and have tried to go slow and make good choices, wish I had started out with a sump system in the beginning, but better late then never I guess lol. I am using a seaclone, which was given to me. Everyone knows leaves a lot to be desired, its great for my 30g quaran. tank, but the 110 needs better, as I constantly have a oil slick on the top, and this is a reef and thats not good. This forum is my home page and I have learned so much from it and I LOVE IT!!!! So, if I have not recanted the steps and place to put the pump for the skimmer would you let me know I have misunderstood? Also, I was really hoping to just be able to use the mag 12 on this entire sump system, but, as was said above, and it makes sence, it would be too strong and simply push water thru without it being skimmed and so, I bought the mag 1.9 to use with the skimmer alone. See, I was going to plumb it with the over flow going straight to the skimmer, that way I figured nothing would miss being skimmed, anyway, not a good idea I guess and so plans changed.............again! Everything I ordered---the mag 12, the over flow, the two outlets and sump filter sock ( you know the thing that hangs in the section of the sump where water come into from the display) should be here today and the mag 1.9 here tomorrow, so, hopefully, this will be all set up this week end, oh and I got my baffles cut and will put them in tonight hopefully. The way I am doing this is like melev's web sight said to do and I am using the one that says "converting a 20 gallon into a sump", if you would like to take a look at it, of course mine will be using a 30 gallon. Ok, eneough already! Thanks everyone and ya'll have a great day out there!!!
Brenda

Hey, bgr,are you saying if I just have a piece of hose and put it on the inlet part of my skimmer, and run it down into my sump, even tho the end of hose would be lower..... from skimmer inlet to bottom of sump, that the skimmer will should be able to pull the water to it? Is that how yours works? That would be great! Then, I could return the mag 1.9!!! yay!!! More money for fishies and corals!!!
Please let me know if this is what your doing, and if it actually pulls the water up to your skimmer. See, my inlet is 14 and a half inches from the inlet to bottom the floor and it would have to pull the water up and into the skimmer, which I dont know if it could pull the water that high thru a hose from bottom of sump then up to skimmer. Thanks again, and this would be great if it would work! Brenda

Nano Reefer, I LOVE THAT MELEVE'S PLACE!! I found it by accident, and after much debate, decided to make mine like the one for the 20 glass sump on there. It will give me a bigger return area and evaporation won't be so much of a problem. Thanks again everyone! Brenda