Help with tank please :)

beattyr

I'm slowly preparing to turn my 90 into a reef and trying to be methodical planning out how I want things to run. This 90 is an All Glass tank I bought in early 2000 and ran as a FW tank till just recently. I want to have it drilled and had a few questions about that.
Other tanks that I have looked at in the LFS have a sticker underneath that says Tempered, do not drill. My tank does not, BUT I dont remember if I just peeled it off.
Is there a way to test glass to determine if its tempered without damaging it?
Can tempered glass be drilled at all? (ie special equipment/shop)
Next, if the tank can be drilled, should it be the bottom or the side that gets drilled?
Lastly, is there good rule of thumb for what size/GPH I want to shoot for in a 90 reef?
Thanks,
Rob

sultros

If you choose to drill your glass, keep in mind that it is very easy to crack it. If you have any fish stores close to you I recommend checking if they build reef ready systems. They may be able to do the drilling for you. Check if they have any custom build tanks in store to verify the quality of their work. Keep in mind though that some stores will not be held liable if they mess up and crack your glass.
There's a store about 30 min away from me that builds overflow boxes for a moderate charge...not sure the price though.
If you are one of those "do it yourself" folks, keep looking around and dont hesitate to use the search tool here and on the web.
Good luck

bang guy

All-Glass tanks have tempered bottoms. Do not drill the bottom.
You can drill the side or back but it may still crack. I strongly suggest ordering a new tank that is already drilled unless you can get a guarantee on the drilling.

beattyr

Bang,
I was at the LFS where I bought the tank from last night trading in some africans and I asked the owner if he knew if the tank was tempered or not. He just so happened to be sitting in his office with the local saleswoman for All-Glass who did some quick research and said that previous to 2003, All-Glass 90 tanks are plain glass and are drillable.
Pretty cool eh?
Rob