Help with tank weight!

zj4play

I posted on here earlier today and I want to thank you all for your responses. I just looked at a 180 gallon tank for sale that is complete and has been up and running for five years. Lots of live rock and sand. The water was crystal clear and it was very nice. I was about to buy the whole setup and then realized I live on the second floor. The whole setup is probably close to 2,000 pounds. You guys think that will work out? I know I should go find a construction forum...but that would take to long.
So what are your opinions?

reefkprz

Totoaly depends on the placement and the structure of the building. if you place it running paralell to your floor joists and away from a bearing wall, your looking for trouble. If you can find a bearing wall and place the tank perpendicular to the joists then you could be alright, but not knowing the actual structure of the building there is no way for me to even give you a semi educated guess.

rbaldino

Originally Posted by reefkprZ
Totoaly depends on the placement and the structure of the building. if you place it running paralell to your floor joists and away from a bearing wall, your looking for trouble. If you can find a bearing wall and place the tank perpendicular to the joists then you could be alright, but not knowing the actual structure of the building there is no way for me to even give you a semi educated guess.
Agreed. Best to get some idea of how your place was built.

zj4play

Thanks for the input. I know it would be a very bad idea to put it in the middle of the floor away from the walls. I was thinking of putting it up against the long wall in the living room. That is all I can really tell you. Is there a better size tank I should go with?

symon

If it where me, I would find out which direction the floor joists ran, I would probably build myself a deck of sorts to place the tank on to help spread out the weight! 180 gals * 7 lbs a gallon = OMG! Actually that's not so bad, not knowing the weight of the tank, guessing 100 lbs, puts you around 1400 lbs

joncat24

I believe I would look into that very seriously. my 180 wieghs 360 empty saltwater weighs 8.63 lbs/gal I have a 55 gallon fuge. with all the rock/ sand/ pumps/lights etc. I am guessing that my sysytem weighs in at about #2800-3000 lbs

mandarin w

Just to let you know It can be done. I have a 180 gallon tank with a 75 gallon sump. I live on the third floor apartment. Tank has been up and running for around 8 months. No signs of stress yet.
The one thing you have going for you, is that apartment buildings unlike family homes have stricter requirements for second floor apartments, and higher. They use different building materials depending on your states requirements at the time the building was built.
Have someone check out the building closely. If you can get a copy of the blueprints that will help. Ask your landlord for all the information you can when you ask their permission for the tank. You will need their permission.
As for a smaller tank being safer, That would depend on what size tank. If you go with a standard 55 or a 75(no sump)there is no problem. But you need to remember even if the tank is smaller, if you are useing a sump that will add alot more weight in a small area. If you look at a 120gallon (the 4 foot tank)with a sump. That would actually be worse than a 180. You would be putting more wieght in a four foot area, versus the 180's six foot area.
It comes down to math, and your support.
Reguardless the tank size, you need to remember that someone is under you. and if the floor fails, someone could be seriously hurt.
I know it sounds like alot. But the blueprints should show if they used 2x12's. or even steel support beams. (That is how they build mine, steel beams, with concrete pads). See if they are 16inchs apart, or 24. Then check to see if you can place the tank so that at least 4 support beams would be under the tank, and at least one good load bearing wall is under the tank. As for wieght, just figure you are going to put a small car there. That is about what it will weight when all is said and done.

reefkprz

Weight of a Gallon of Salt Water
This depends on the ammount of salt disolved in the water. Sea water in the Atlantic might weigh differently than in the Pacific, and the water in the Dead Sea is much heavier than you might find down at the local beach.
To get an exact answer, you must know the percent composition of the salt water, or the ratio of salt to water. Roughly, salt water weighs 64 lbs/cu.ft., as opposed to fresh water, which is about 62.2 lbs/cu.ft. There are 7.4805 gallons in a cubic foot. So a gallon of salt water weighs roughly 8.556 lbs.

zj4play

Wow...thanks for all the info guys! It looks like I have my homework cut out for me. I will get ahold of the office later today to see what they can offer me in the way of blueprints. I already asked permission for the tank and they approved it (but they didn't know it was going to be that big). I will keep you all posted.