help with tank

superman59

I have the red sea max that I have not done much with 4 a few months. at the beginning of summer I lost 5 fish in two weeks. I am ready to get back on track. I have no fish but i do have a few corals. star and zoos. I have a hair aglea problem and use ro water. how Is the best way to control this? my temp stays around 84 is this a problem? anyother advice would me great.

brandon7491

thats a little bit high, ur goal is to get the temp betwee 78,79,80,81,82 i really dont know the red sea units well, maybe if u wanted too as a last resort take the canopy off of it and get a hanging mh fixture but then that will run u $300.00 try checking the cooling fans and if that fails try running ur house temp at like 74.

peef

A temp of 84 is not a bad thing, the thing that really matters is consistancy. As long as its not 84 during the day and 70 at night or something you are FINE with a temp like that. If you are going to upgrade your light you will most likly want to invest in a chiller. You can get a fan to blow across the surface of your water to lower the temp but that is hard to balance and find a happy medium. Algae is growing from an excessive amount of nutrients from over feeding or things like bad tap water! If you balance all that out and get a cleanup crew that munches hair algae, like an emerald crab it should slowly go away.Good luck!