help with two crazy tangs

donpachino

just yesterday i got two yellow tangs. i let them out at the sametime in to the tank ,they got along just fine but today i
see one after the other.what sure i do to prevent one of them geting hurt or is this normal :confused: :help:

N

newreefers

If both of these are in a 55 gal tank, that is the problem. Tangs require a lot of swimming room. Most people saya 6' long tank for a tang. They are stressed due to lack of space.

D

dorie

Good question I currenlty have 3 Yellow Tangs in 180 gal, is this OK. I would also like to add 3 Hippo Tangs to my system?
My 3 Tangs get along great...

zippy

You also have only 2 tangs. Not to harp on the fact of the tiny tank for tangs, if you keep more than one you need at least three. This will keep the aggression spread out over them all, instead of one dominant fish killing the other.
For three tangs a 180 should be fine. Before I knew better I started with 3 yellows in a 90 gallon, and due to stress they died within 9 months. Now I have one tang, and he has been going strong and fat for over a year. I would recommend at least a 90 for a tang, much larger for more than 2.

kreach

Originally posted by dorie
Good question I currenlty have 3 Yellow Tangs in 180 gal, is this OK. I would also like to add 3 Hippo Tangs to my system?
My 3 Tangs get along great...

I think you are ok with three yellows in a 180, but I wouldn't add three hippos. 6 tangs in a 180 would be way too much, IMO, especially considering how big hippos get.