Help would be appreciated

splashed

Hey gang! I am posting this in the REEF section, cuz one day, I wanna be just like you! :) Anyways, I have a 42G Hex that BADLY needs a lighting upgrade. I don't know how/dont want to, build a hood for it. I have seen lots of lights with legs for sale, and pendants, but haven't seen much talk about lighting in the reef forum. I want y'alls opinion before I buy.
I have heard that if you go reef, you have to go MH, do you agree with this?
What suggestions do you have for a 42G HEX? (that doesn't include building a canopy?
TY

viper_930

It is not necessary to have MH for a reef, but the more light the better. What are the dimensions of the tank? What kinds of corals do you want to keep? Any anemones or clams? Do you have a cost limit?

splashed

OK without waking the hubby up to get the measuring tape, I think my dimensions are: 24" across the top (at the widest part) 24" from top to bottom. (It is hex and each side is 12") I think.
I don't know what kind of corals I want to keep. Right now, I am only FOWLR and LS . . . BUT, I don't want to buy lights twice, so I was trying to buy ahead. (if that makes since) I know I want my tank to look like the ones I see in this reef section, but I can only afford lights right now, haven't really started the search for corals.
I was hoping to stay under $200 for the lights (bulbs and all) Is that feasable?

ross

Definetly go with the site that viper gave u...its the best. You can buy the stuff seperately, and keep it cheaper. I got a 400w ballast/bulb/reflector for like $200.