Help!!!

ems101

ok... i'm scared
i have had an outbreak of green slime algea for the past month or so. I have talked to ppl including on this site and it seems like the general consensus is that I need more lighting. I'm fine with that. I have a 125G FOWLR and i presently have 2 40W bulbs that came with the tank. I understand that I am way below what I should be at but I figured that I did not have any corals in there so i should be ok for the first little while. I've spent about 3500$ already on equipment.
I just went price shopping for lighting and was suprised to say the least on how rediculously expensive lighting is! the best price i got was $1600 CDN for the canopy and lighting combo. a total of 580 watts... is there ANY OTHER WAY of doing the same job but saving a little bit of money? I'm almost out on the street with my wife here...
Any suggestions would help me and my wallet!!!
THANX

sammyg

You only need to spend the big bucks if you want to keep corals. If not, then just replace your bulbs with new 10,000K and actinic 03 (or 50/50s) bulbs that work with your existing set up.

I

ivanfj

What's the length of your tank??? Is it 6 feet long??? I would go with 2 or 3 MH 250w and make your current bulbs to actinic bulbs for now. And later on, you could do it like magic_carp says there, get any VHO ballast and upgrade the combo to MH-VHO combo. 2 or 3 MH probably gonna cost you around $1000 if you are not buying it online. Online is much cheaper though.
Edit: http://www.jlaquatics.com/cgi-bin/sh...no=pfo-hrf723v
Check this out and see if you like it. HTH