Help

scoobydoo

There's a 120 gallon tank, new filter, oak stand and a bunch of other stuff (I assume fake corals and stuff that I wouldn't use) in the paper for $500. Called today to get more information. Told they are moving and need to sell the tank. Its currently freshwater with a new filter (she said cost $250). Has top and lights (something about a white bulb and black light?). Cost them $1200 two years ago. Is this a good deal? Can I use the filter and stuff for saltwater? I have a 30 gallon and want to upgrade. I'm going to look at it this afternoon. Any questions I should ask (other than if they used copper for ich)?

angelcam

Actually that sounds like a great deal! New 125 gallon tanks go for $400-$500 in my area, without any extras. Some of the more experienced folks can give you advice on filtration. Personally I would like to see that the tank does not leak before I bought it!
Good Luck!:jumping:

B

big911dog

a fully loaded 120 is gonna be REALLY heavy! make sure you have a safe floor for it! Ask about scratches on the tank. One last thing: Think about where you want to go with your tank. If you want to eventually do a reef, its worth waiting for one with an overflow which is predrilled.
HTH

scoobydoo

NO DEAL. I went to look (husband wasn't exactly pleased!). The tank and stand overall look pretty good. The filter is an underground filteration system (I think the filter said Ehiman or something like that) and no instructions. Only had 2 30W strip lights that sat on glass top. Top was slightly broken but could have been fixed. Offered $400 and left my card in case they changed they're mind. I'll keep looking. Anyone in Upstate or Central New York?