HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!

salt one

OK, I HAVE TO 75 GALLON FISH TANK THAT I HAVE HAD RUNNING FOR OVER A YEAR, AND I HAVE HAD A SAILFIN TANG SINCE I STARTED THE TANK. HE HAS HAD AT LEAST 3 CASES OF THIS PARISITE AND EVERY TIME I TREAT IT AND IT GOES AWAY, NOW I HAVE TURNED MY FISHTANK INTO A REEF TANK AND HAVE CORALS AND ECT. IN IT, OVER THE PAST FEW DAYS HE IS GETTING THEM BACK, THEY LOOK LIKE HE HAS BEEN SCRATCHED ALL UP. BUT I CAN'T TREAT THE TANK THIS TIME, AND I CAN'T GET HIM OUT BECAUSE OF THE LIVEROCK! I HAVE HEARD OF A CURE THATS IN A FOOD FORM THAT THEY EAT! HAS ANYONE TRYED THIS STUFF???? AND WHY DOES HE KEEP GETTING THIS PERISITE? I HAVE A UV STERILIZER AND NONE OF THE OTHER FISH HAVE IT!! HELP!!

harris

Tangs are very susceptible to disease. I think I read/heard somewhere that it is how their scales are laid out. But anyhow. Check the bulb on your UV sterilizer, it may be old and not doing a good job. As far as the parasites coming into the water, they could be riding in on other fish. When you get a new fish from your LFS some water can make in the tanks and all it takes is one parasite. If want you can get a cleaner shrimp. It will physically eat the parasites off of the tang. As wella s a cleaner wrasse will do the same.
If all else fails make a little hospital tank and just put the tang in there. You might have to move your aquarium around some but int he end if he lives, it will be time well spent. don't wait too long on this as your fishes health is in jeopardy.

jimos

i agree. I believe tiel-aquatics still makes an ick cure thats reef safe. your lfs make be able to remember the exact name of the product. good luck.

tonylip

My purple tang had them and I medecated my tank with chem-marin stop parasites it works but I had to turn off my skimmer while I used it it pumped the wettest foam out I had to add water every hour surf it up there is good info on parasites at their home page www.ewtech.com/chem-marin good lucl

fishgirl

I think the in-the-food thing you're thinking of is putting garlic in the food. I've never tried this, but many have had success with this method.

ktwheet

There is a medicated flake food, but it is for bacterial diseases and is an antibiotic. It won't work (I don't think) on a parasitic disease. There are dosing meds that are reef safe out there, you will just have to hunt them down (I have a FOwLR and can't tell you what they are). Good luck!

kmr

Try the Chem-Marin Stop Parasite. If treated according to directions and along with secondary bacteria infection meds it works. I think garlic stinks up the tank. Also any oils in the water can cause your skimmer to overflow. Unless your tang is heavily infested and water conditions are bad I would let him be and see if he shakes it on his own. My tang has had ich three times which required meds one of the times.

salt one

thanks for the comments, i have checked the uv sterilizer and its working fine, i feed the tang Tetra Anti-Parasite Medicated sticks and he is almost clear, it says the treatment should last 10 days but i have only used it 2 days and it works great!

krazzydart

get yourself some cleaner wrasses and cleaner shrimp they should keep it under control...... and the U.V. thing does not kill all parisites!!!!!!!Good Luck///