Help !!!

J

jdragunas

lol, you both have very similar avtars, so at first i just thought you were having a conversation with yourself... LOL
and i also just clean around mine. You can't really see behind the rocks unless you look really hard. And if you have enough flow back there, you shouldn't really get that much of a buildup on the glass.

scubaguy

@NigerBang Thanks for the info. I will not move mine.
@jdragunas I do work in a place that people talk to themselves. Maybe it is rubbing off on me :hilarious
Pokey(Urchin) is still not moving much but he stopped losing his spines.
I am still in the process of uping my SG, so maybe he will get better. The CC is doing a lot better. He is now hiding in the Aquarium and we had a hard time finding him, but we did.

J

jdragunas

what's your sg now? and how are you measuring it? Do you have a hydrometer or a refractometer? If you're just using a hydrometer, i'd get a refractometer. They're more pricey, but so much more accurate. i got mine for about $40 with shipping included. I found out my hydro was off by .003, so my sg was really at 1.022 instead of the 1.025 that the hydro was showing... I'm glad i got one before getting corals!

scubaguy

I already solved that problem. I bought a cheap Coralife Deep Six, it SUCKS. I had a major loss of life but all the reading were good.
SG 1.022
PH 8.4
Nitrite 0 ppm
Amonia 0 ppm
Nitrate 10 ppm
I lost 2 red leg hermit crabs and three of my damsel fish. I went and talked to the LFS. He said maybe I had hot spots, since stupid me placed the chemicals and salt in the Aquarium. He told me to bring in a sample of water, it was off the 80 I think on his refractometer. He gave me a sample of his water and told me what it was and then I took it home and used my Hydrometer to test it. It was .005 off so when I was getting a reading of 1.022 it was actually 1.027.
Yes, I know more money but I will give my wife a break for a while. It was at 1.023 yesterday and I now have it at 1.024 today.

joshradio

here's one thing i found out with mine... I have a 37 and had that same heater.... it kept jumping my tanks temp up to 92-ish and that was on low... normally that's not a problem... but most of the urchins don't move much until night anyway... unless you have them fooled.... mwah ha ha ha haaaaaa

scubaguy

@JoshRadio I will watch it and make sure it is doing alright and not jumping. So far every time I check the temp it is what I have set it at. Thanks for the info

J

jdragunas

temp problems normally happen if you have a heater that is rated for larger tanks than yours. That's when you need to set the temp lower. FYI, i have 2 heaters, one on each side of the tank, that way if one stops working, the other one still is.

merredeth

I'm kind of shocked no one mentioned that the tank is too new for a chocolate chip or that the tank size is too small.
I don't know much about urchins, but I do know that stars needs well established tanks to live.
Denise M.

a&a2

Yeah I agree w/Merredeth. Also---the rock will not need cured if you buy it from your local pet store right out of the tank. I bought some local for 5.99/# and got to pick what I wanted right out of the tank. Brought it home & put it in my tank. Ready to go!

a&a2

the post was from last week

[hr]
looking for more opinions and wanted to see how scubaguy was making out. Is that a problem?

lion_crazz

No, I was just curious. I thought there was a question that was left unanswered and if that was the case, I was going to go back and read the whole thread to possibly offer my help.

scubaguy

Updated pics to my tank. The CC star is doing fine and I have added a total of 38 lbs of LR and 10 pounds of base rock.
1 Black Long Spiny Urchin
1 CC sea star
1 Hermit crab
2 small red hermit crabs
3 emerald crabs
1 Pink dotty back (?)
1 clown
1 Three stipe damsel
1 Blue Devil Damsel
1 Saddle Puffer