Help

deric203

im curing my Lr that just came in... some of it has red hairy material on it that is very much stuck to the rock... does that all need to come off?

michaeltx

hairy stuff as in green hairt stuff?
if so absolutely it could be hair algae buts hard to say with out a pic or some more description of it.
mike

dmjordan

can you post a pic of it? you should scrub off any dead or decaying tissue with a stiff bristled brush and some fresh saltwater.

deric203

Some peices

Last photo is Hawain something rock. Doesnt look alive to me.
the other photos are nice big peices. Been scrubbing and picking for 3 hours.
The rock is "cured" already. Packaged yesterday and arrived today. less than 24 hours transit.
when all cleaned, throw into tank and watch? :notsure:

michaeltx

yep and then be ready to do some water changes it can get rather stinky at times. make sure there is flow and constant temp you may not have to wait long for it cure because its so fresh but you will have some.
I dont see what you were talking about the green algae do you have a pic of what that is.
mike

sepulatian

Do you have anything in your tank? If you do, I would not just put it in. It may have said cured, but alot can happen in 24hrs not to mention all of the time you have been scrubing.
Darn Sharks................

barchtruong

put them back in the water quick....lol.....
scrub them cure them, scrub them again after aweek, wash them....done
if there's green hair algea on there, nothing you can do.
cure them with out light for 2wks, that might help, but still, the roots are still there.
deal with them later

michaeltx

that was probably a macro algae most fish will eat it. if it was green then you should worry about it. red not so much a big deal.
Mike

deric203

Ok..One more question and I'll leave you guys alone. (At least till tomorrow
)
Salt water, live sand, and this live rock are in the tank. Heater is on and one SEIO 1100 ph is on.
Should pump be running through the refugium and sump right now or not?
I'll test levels daily, attach my magnifying glass to a chair and ***) .

deric203

Ah Sepulation. No live critters are in the tank. brand new set up. I guess that would have been useful information.
thanks for everything

sepulatian

Originally Posted by Deric203
Ok..One more question and I'll leave you guys alone. (At least till tomorrow
)
Salt water, live sand, and this live rock are in the tank. Heater is on and one SEIO 1100 ph is on.
Should pump be running through the refugium and sump right now or not?
I'll test levels daily, attach my magnifying glass to a chair and ***) .
When did you put the sand in? Has everything settled? If everything is settled then you can go ahead and turn your pumps on.

deric203

Very cloudy still. Put the sand in last night and had the ph on continuously.
Can I turn everything off except for the heater for a day or two and let the cloudiness settle?

michaeltx

I would be careful shutting the pump off after the rock goes in the critters might not like it thats in the rock. If you have a filter sitting around like a hang on type you can run it with the filter pad to pull the fine silt out of the water. but I still recomend some sort of water movement in the tank.
Mike

sepulatian

Originally Posted by MichaelTX
I would be careful shutting the pump off after the rock goes in the critters might not like it thats in the rock. If you have a filter sitting around like a hang on type you can run it with the filter pad to pull the fine silt out of the water. but I still recomend some sort of water movement in the tank.
Mike
Yep I agree