Help !!!!!!!!

aquaman2000

hi everyone
it seems im stuck yet again

i bought a return pump and im trying whether to use hose instead of using pipes
but im stuck on what parts you buy
what can u use to put on the entrance and exit of the pump to connect to the hose do u use an adapter to put the hose to the part that goes on both entrance and exit of the pump
another question
is it better to have a hose as a return to the DT or PVC plumbing
Probably a pic would describe what im trying to say hope i can get answers

aquaman2000

i bought a sequence
Model #

[hr]
Flow Rate

[hr]
Flow Rate (gph @ 4' Head)

[hr]
600-3200gph

[hr]
2820gph
Inlet/Outlet
2.0"/1.5"

zman1

External thats a big pump. I saw your other thread on noise. They offer anti vibration pads ( rubber o-rings). I can provide you some pictures of what I did with a combo of pipes and hoses on a Dolphin 3600 external if you want. The only issue you may have is that the flow rate may be too high for your tanks overfllows (Might have to dial the pump back a little). How many do you have and what are they rated for, the AGA RR tanks are 600 GPH per overflow.
Let me know if you want me to do this for you. Also, in the mean time, you can look at my homepage. Click my name above and choose homepage, I have some pictures there right now.

aquaman2000

i was thinking in putting Valves to restrict some flow on the RP
i have a Overflow that will do 1200gph and the RP does 600-3200 so ill ad the valve to restrict some flow (i think this will work) (opinions if im going the wrong direction)
I can provide you some pictures of what I did with a combo of pipes and hoses on a Dolphin 3600 external if you want.
Very welcomed

zman1

My setup isn't what you want, I am sure, but you can tweak it. I will note a few of the items that I have done that you will want to do different if vibration is a concern. The descriptions are above the pictures...
The first picture is of the pump This one has 2" for both in/out (Was supposed to have 2" in and 1.5" out - prod. change, the note was in the box). I hard wired a switch to turn the pump on and off while feeding. This allows the tank water to drop to the overflow levels and prevents food from washing away and dropping into the sump. I put a shut-off ball valve on the pump exhaust/output and on the intake in order to keep or limit the water that drains out when I pull the pump to clean it. I did get a piece of small debris stuck in one of the impeller ports by My BAD and pulling one of the intake strainers off while the pump was running and it sucked it in pretty fast. The shut-off valves on each side makes it easy to work on. The potential Don't Do in the picture that you can't see well, is right above the ball valve, I have a metal u-clamp that keeps this section tight to the stand. You will see the same u-clamp used in other pictures here at different spots.

The output feeds up to a manifold ( I 4-way out too two other systems, disregard the horizontal pipe) This is an eight port manifold that I only used three on each side and plugged the other two. Two lines go down to the bottom of the tank and up the tanks return lines (part of the built-in overflow kit). The other four go to the top off the tank. I bought ball valves for each of these hoses and additional hose barbs and never installed them. Was going to try to control flow with them, they are not needed. You can see the one of the u-clamps I talked about earlier on the right side of the 4-way.

This picture shows three of the four lines that come over the top and other is to the left and looks just like the one on the far right. The center two are zip tied to the support bar of the frame and the other to are zip tied with the eyelet Zip ties and stainless screws. This would be your call, I used clear hose because it was easy to get and algae does grow in it, thus far hasn't been a big problem on the two long runs that are exposed under the hood on far right and left, but if you can get non-clear it would probably be a better choice.

This picture just shows what the output ends look like. I used flexline.

This shows the pump intake side from the sump. The other shut-off valve is here and the u-clamp on the stand. Why I used a union valve and it looks like it's installed backwards. There is a reason for this, If I had to remove the sump for some reason (repair a leak) the unions on the valve and pump allow the section of pipe to be removed and I can squeeze the Ag tank out without cutting the glued section from the valve going into the bulkhead. There is 1" to spare -

This shows a new config I switched to when I removed the 55 gal Rubbermaid Ag tank that was above the sump.
The skimmer is sitting on a eggcrate frame above the L Tee's strainers on the intake side.

Here is a picture of the intake side of the L Tee's strainers. You have to keep these off the bottom so they don't vacuum and cause wear on the pump. It's hard to see that in the picture but the left end is off the bottom about 3-4". Nothing is glued, just pushed together.

I picked all of the plumbing items up at HD and Lowes, except the pump, strainers, manifold, and flexline - I got these online.
Yours will be different, but hope this helps gives some ideas you can modify from.

zman1

Originally Posted by aquaman2000
I have a Overflow that will do 1200gph and the RP does 600-3200 so ill ad the valve to restrict some flow
I have not heard too many positive things about CPR overflows that I saw you list in another post. I used to use vented siphons (DIY) on my 75 and they are super noisy for the flow rate. When I moved it, I bought "Eshopps" overflows. They are very similar to what Squidd has made and used so I thought I would give that design a shot. This is where one of the pipes goes on the 4-way over to a 75 non-drilled/non-RR. They have never failed thus far and don't need a vacuum line/pump to keep them going. Google "eshopps".

aquaman2000

thanks for the pics
i went to sleep ytd and saw the pics today
i did see the combination of the hoses with pipes
do you recommend going with both or only one type (white hose/PVC pipes)
I liked what you did with your Return design might just do that my self if is not that much of a hassle
since i cant work on the tank today and tomorrow ill just work on the design until moday, probably ill put some more pics of the design im trying to go for, and help would be mostly appreciated
At first i heard good thins about the CPR then as i bought it and whent to their support site i noticed allot of probs with their pump, from then I haven't heard good things regarding the CPR,
owell what can i do, I have it already, so ill just give it a try and if it dosent work ill just try the one mentioned
Regarding the tank circulation
you mentioned that it might be too much for the OBF to handle (pump wise)
do you think the valve is a good thing or should i tweak it like you said
im at work right now so the pics design ill make will have to wait till night but help is welcomed in the mean time
thanks for your time
and everyone else is welcomed to help

Y

yeffre kix

I think restricting the flow from your pump will cause failure eventually and excess heat build up, not to mention using more electricity. I would recomend a pump that doesn't outperform your overflows.
If you have it already try running it and see how well balanced your system is. You'll lose some gph due to plumbing and increased head ft distance.

zman1

i did see the combination of the hoses with pipes
do you recommend going with both or only one type (white hose/PVC pipes)
Whatever works for your location and is easiest to install and repair if needed. Rigid pipe with 45 and 90 elbows will offer more resistance (head pressure) while hoes can provide wider radius turns offer less resistance. In your case, with the pump you have, you can overcome this in any combination. Since the rating is 600-3200gph, it sounds like this pump is capable of being dialed back - My dolphin is the same way, I run it full open since there are multiple area it's servicing. You can dial it back with a valve on the output side or run a T off the output and second valve that feeds back to your sump. Adjust this so that the main line valve to the tank is full open. If you start to overwhelm the overflow, open the valve the feeds back to the sump more (this may give more water noise). Sizing the pump for the potential head pressure (bends and length of pipe) and overflows is the best way to go, plus a little more. However, you have it now and I can say, I have never seen a negative post on these Sequence pumps.

since i cant work on the tank today and tomorrow ill just work on the design until moday, probably ill put some more pics of the design im trying to go for, and help would be mostly appreciated.
There are many people here that would be more than happy to assit you.
At first i heard good thins about the CPR then as i bought it and whent to their support site i noticed allot of probs with their pump, from then I haven't heard good things regarding the CPR,
owell what can i do, I have it already, so ill just give it a try and if it dosent work ill just try the one mentioned.
I don't have any experience with this brand, only what I have read. Just giving you a heads up to keep an eye on it and offer an alternative. Let us know once you have it up and running how well it performs, manufacturers make improvement all the time.
Regarding the tank circulation
you mentioned that it might be too much for the OBF to handle (pump wise)
do you think the valve is a good thing or should i tweak it like you said
I included this in the pipe-vs-hose reply above.
everyone else is welcomed to help

aquaman2000

So ive done my design but ive stumble upon some problems help is really appreciated

i have connected the pipes with the pump as the pic shows
as i was filling in the sump/refugium with water to test if it was going into the pump and out in to the DT, the water did not come out as i though it would in to the DT (no water in the DT only in the sump)
i searched for the model i bought and saw this TIP they gave
The first thing that you are going to do is install the foot valve on the end of the line in the water. The foot valve allows the water to only flow in one direction. There are different types, spring, flapper and mechanical. Depending on the power of the pump some of these may not work. We recommend a flapper type because they are easy to install and work with most pumps.
It is a good idea to make sure that all of the joints are glued tightly at this point so that there are no air leaks. This will save time and extra work down the road. Now take the hose and fill the tank so that the suction point of the pipe is covered by enough water to not allow a vortex to occur (usually 8" or more). The line will be primed at this point unless there is air trapped in the line. If the pump is running correctly, great. If it is not repeat the steps above until it begins to flow properly.
TIP
Inverted U's are bad ideas. Air is very difficult to expel out of these points (unless a bleed valve is installed) and ValuFlo pumps will not pump if there is air in the intake line.

is there any way the pump can be primed with out using a bleed valve so it can work
if it is necessary how do you go about connecting it to the PVC pipes (do you drill a hole and insert it in)?

the second pic is of the Bleed valve.
do you all have to prime your pumps to get them to suck the water in and trow it out in to the DT to began the water circulation?
my sump is not drilled so thats why i have the U in the intake
any ideas on how i should make my design if mines looks crappy

zman1

I take it there is no way for you to put a bulkhead through the side of your sump. This would be the preferred method. Google "1.5 inch Priming Pot/Basket for Dolphin Aqua Sea Pump " to see a picture. Does Sequence offer a 2" flavor?

aquaman2000

Originally Posted by zman1
I take it there is no way for you to put a bulkhead through the side of your sump. This would be the preferred method. Google "1.5 inch Priming Pot/Basket for Dolphin Aqua Sea Pump " to see a picture. Does Sequence offer a 2" flavor?
Hi

thanks again for helping
i bought a tank, a used a 30 gal tank and converted it to a sump/refugium, from what i heard used tanks are not good for drilling (opinions) so this is why i didnt drill it.
so i went with the design you see above
now the Priming Pot/Basket would it help,
i found a site that makes it for the sequence
would i need the check valve is it a good idea to buy it
along with a priming pot/basket for the sequence
another question if i do not want to glue two PVC pipes together is there a piece you could put in between them, without gluing them while not letting air enter as well
if so what is the name of the piece
thanks for the help
and sorry for all the Q's

zman1

The priming basket would help. If the "U" you have were to loose suction (Water), it may not restart. I would think once you got the pump going, it would continue to work and if stopped would restart as long as water stayed in the "U" (sump water high enough). You need something if I read your post correctly, since you tried to start it unprimed unsuccessfully. The "u" is not ideal as the pump has to lift the water out of the sump even with a prime pot. However, It would be better to have a prime pot in this scenario. If you were to lose power while away and by chance lose the prime on the "U", you could come home to a pump that been running dry for X. I would guess the bearings/seals in the pump housing would be shot...

zman1

Originally Posted by aquaman2000
another question if i do not want to glue two PVC pipes together is there a piece you could put in between them, without gluing them while not letting air enter as well

Not sure about the air part of the question, but putting to pieces of pipe together without gluing and can be taken apart easily. You need to use a union fitting.

aquaman2000

thanks zman1
ive come up with some conclusions
after searching for some prices for the pot etc.
it came up to a total of $86+pipes(for redoing) and 90% PVC
would it be better to drill the tank
how much of a chance is there that the used tank may crack or break
is it better to make an acrylic sump (cheap wise compared to the parts i have to buy)
or should i go with what i got and purchase the pot and extras