Help!!

fish addict

I need a job by Saturday or my parents are making me detassle!
I did it last year and it was absolutely horrible! For those of you who don't know detassling is walking through cornfields all day pulling tassles out of the tops of corn. Last year it was so bad you would get wet in the morning and be freezing then in the afternoon you would be burning up and you have to long sleeves and pants otherwise the corn gives you a rash that itches like heck! I need a job for a 14 yr old in a small town, help me! I have one possibility but I don't know if I will make enough money and that is cleaning carpets which won't be fun at all! Any one have any suggestions?

H

huskychasrs

I have a suggestion...Quit whining.
Do your parents provide for you? Some hard work is good for the soul.

f14peter

Originally Posted by huskychasrs
I have a suggestion...Quit whining.
Do your parents provide for you? Some hard work is good for the soul.
Took the words right out my mouth! At age 14, one isn't necessarily going to find some dream job. I'm trying to give the younger generation the benefit of the doubt, but it sure seems like there's a general tendency that any job envolving physical labor is not an option.
And good for the soul? You bet!!!! Makes one appreciate things, realize that work (sometimes even physically demanding work) is the means to self-sufficiency and financial responsibility.

renogaw

sry, but at 14 you'd be lucky to get a paper route. I think it's great your parents are showing you that you will have towork for a living :)

jennythebugg

i agree and..hey wait my daughters turning 14??!!??!!...hmmmmm i already make her babysit for us when we both have to go somewhere, but i don't pay her and i won't pay my others for doing things that help make the household run smoother . i wasnt raised that way . seeing your post it seems you dont have a problem with that its just ya dont want to go shucking or whatever it's called , i dont blame ya it sounds crappy to me too, get a job babysitting thats a good one for a kid your age.

prk543

As much as I'd hate to say it, we all have to do jobs that we hate, and remember "if it doesn't kill you, it makes you stronger" Believe me i know, when i was your age (god that statement makes me feel old) my dad's favorite summer time activity was spreading topsoil in the yard so that the grass would be fuller. And my mom's was spreading mulch in the flower beds, but remember its time that you spend with your family and you feel good because you got to help out.
The other thing is, it taught me that going to school really did matter, because I didn't want to be stuck doing something that I hated. All in all, if you are "stuck helping out" it will be good for you in the long run. Just remember to drink plenty of water

-prk543

adairable

I am sure there are some elderly folks in your small town. They usually are too proud to ask for help tho they need it, but if you offer they might take you up on it.
Problem is they may pay you in food?(Wedding Singer style)

earlybird

when you are young you have to do what ever job you can get. Should be motivation to do well in school so you don't have to do tedious jobs or hard labor.
Pick them up and detassle.

rabbit_72

My husband did plenty of odd jobs he didn't much like when he was your age to make some money. I know he used to help his aunt and uncle in the ginseng fields, and sheared trees and hard labor things like that. He still works physically hard in a window factory and others that work there tell me how hard he really does work. I used to clean houses and do babysitting until I was old enough to get a job at McDonald's and then have worked grocery stores for the last 16 years. I am also raising 3, almost soon to be 4, children all day, while I work until after midnight, 5 nights a week. As you can imagine, I don't get much sleep. Hard work is good for you. Go to school, do well, and have a career where you don't have so much physical labor and good pay.

autofreak44

having recently been 14 i know what a pain in the butt it is to find a job. best thing to do is go around to people you know and pick up some odd, under the table jobs...
btw i think you know the meaning of hard work but since you are given the option to get a job you dont completely hate then why not go for it... no sence going through the mud if there is a perfectly good road out there to travel...
good luck finding a job, and if you dont have luck... good luck detasseling

fish addict

Ya sorry I sounded so whiney (is that a word?) I mean I am 14 and I need to be more mature. Thanks for all the constructive criticism though, I am going doing detassling and carpet cleaning b/c I realized that there's not really a whole lot I can do so ya... Well thanks
fish addict

fish addict

Originally Posted by Adairable
I am sure there are some elderly folks in your small town. They usually are too proud to ask for help tho they need it, but if you offer they might take you up on it.
Problem is they may pay you in food?(Wedding Singer style)
I think I would prefer not to be paid in food. I helped an elderly woman clean a house and she fed me a sandwich with moldy meat!

nigerbang

Originally Posted by fish addict
Ya sorry I sounded so whiney (is that a word?) I mean I am 14 and I need to be more mature. Thanks for all the constructive criticism though, I am going doing detassling and carpet cleaning b/c I realized that there's not really a whole lot I can do so ya... Well thanks
fish addict

Look at you....Growing up already...Besides Corn is great..
Jobs at 14 suck about 99% of the time..Suck it up and pitch in like you are going to do...Helps out alot...