Help...

borgatagal

Hi all,
I am unsure what to do. I purchased a green bird wrasse today. I added him to my tank and he went crazy swimming aggressively back and forth for about 30 minutes. The next thing I know I came back in the room to look for him (thinking maybe he jumped out or something) and he was inside a cave breathing heavy and not moving. Almost looks like he is on his way out to fish heaven. Not sure what to do. He was active and had no problems at the fish store. (I had been watching him for the past three days there)
My question..... should I remove him and put him by himself or just turn the light off tonight and let things be? There aren't any other fish bothering him. What do you suggest?? Any help would be appreciated.

sign guy

sounds like he just panicked. Id kill the lights and check back in the mourning. are your prams ok?

v-lioness

Give your wrasse time and keep an eye on things, mine will do this from time to time when stressed. Just to add, Bird wrasses may bury themselves in the sand, so if you see a tail or fin sticking out of your sand, or you don't see it at all, just watch for it and don't panic right away with this fish, they are characters...
Good Luck,
Kaye

borgatagal

I got impatient and moved the cave. He came out swimming and full of life. I just can't get over him being 8 inches and curling up in that tiny cave looking dead. I have never had a wrasse before. Not much to read on them either I can find. Any suggestions on their care and tendencies?? Any help,,, as usual is much appreciated. You folks are terrific!

v-lioness

I just can't get over him being 8 inches and curling up in that tiny cave looking dead.
That's a Bird wrasse for you, mine will take breaks during the day and lay on the rocks, there are times I still have to walk over to the tank, just to double check

They need a variety of food plus greens, this includes pellets, flake, mysis, krill, a meaty blend, for greens, I tear some nori up and float it at the surface for them. They can deplete your rock of life, this is what that long nose does, they will eat invertebrates.
Bird Wrasses are fast open swimmers, that need larger tanks, it will dash in and out of the smallest crevices through your rock. They can eat smaller fish, I took my male in years ago because it was killing smaller fish, I personally have not had a problem with him.
Kaye

borgatagal

Hi Kaye,

I just wanted to give u an update on my Mr. Personality fish. He is awesome! Swimming around today like he has been in the tank for years. I am amazed how much energy he has. The most beautiful emerald blue/green I have ever seen,,, Ugly, Unusual, but beautiful all in one sentence. I think my other fish are a little taken back by all his energy. My sailfin on the other hand, she is in her own little world and now has competition with speed against him I believe.
Thanks again for listening.