help!!!!!!!!!!!!

queenb

I had 9 fish and 1 invert in a 3 foot tank,with 10kg live rock, i then moved them all into a 5 foot tank (all in the same day), with 13kg live rock, after two weeks white spots developed and they had swollen whitish eyes, their bodies were getting patchy(colour was fading) and their fins looked bitten, treated them with myaxzin but spots dissappeared only for a while. after a week fish started to die i moved remainder fish into a hospital tank and medicated with cuprazin. fish still died in hospital tank.Thought it was the ammonia, so did a 40 litre water change. only have two fish left!!!!! what could have been the prob and what solutions are there?

rudedog40

Originally Posted by queenB
I had 9 fish and 1 invert in a 3 foot tank,with 10kg live rock, i then moved them all into a 5 foot tank (all in the same day), with 13kg live rock, after two weeks white spots developed and they had swollen whitish eyes, their bodies were getting patchy(colour was fading) and their fins looked bitten, treated them with myaxzin but spots dissappeared only for a while. after a week fish started to die i moved remainder fish into a hospital tank and medicated with cuprazin. fish still died in hospital tank.Thought it was the ammonia, so did a 40 litre water change. only have two fish left!!!!! what could have been the prob and what solutions are there?

Can't wait to see the flaming responses for this one. You're using metric for some measurements, but american standards for others. Is your original tank 3 feet, or 3 meters long? Nine fish in a 3 foot tank would raise all kinds of problems. You don't say what all your critical readings were (ammonia, nitrates, nitrites, Ph, salinity), so it's hard to tell what kind of water conditions you have. White spots and swollen eyes sounds like ich to me. If it goes untreated as long as it appears yours had, I could see how you lost so many fish. You also don't state what type of fish you have, but any ich breakout could come from stress. They were probably already stressed out living in such confined quarters (3 foot tank for 9 fish). Then you did a major transport to a new tank. Was this new tank cycled? How long have both tanks been up and operating? Don't know what else to tell you, except to provide more detailed information about your two tanks (all the readings above), and the type of fish you had in these two tanks.

1journeyman

Welcome to the boards.
Please give more details... how long was new tank set up, was the rock cured? What are/were the ammonia/Nitrite/Nitrate levels, type of fish, etc.
Edit: And there will be no flames on this thread. The poster is new to the forums and asking for help. We'll give it.

geridoc

Sorry for your loss. I know it can be hard! Without knowing your exact water parameters, it is difficult to figure out exactly what is happening, but the white patches on the fish certainly sound like stress, but what is causing the stress is the question. Swollen eyes could be bacterial (read the posting in the disease forum on popeye), so I would make sure that my water conditions were prefect, then treat with an antibiotic. If there are priorities, then I would make sure my water conditions were right since nothing good happens if the water is bad.

queenb

Thank You for yr quick reply,I made a mistake being a first time fish keeper,think my mistake was putting them all in at the same time (9 fish+a starfish+a shrimp). And its a 6foot tank not a 3 foot, i have these little strips that you dip into the water to test and the water was all on par (it has colour codings that you compare against). But now, i don't know if i should just give up on fish keeping or take this as a lesson and try again?

queenb

thanx rudedog40 for yr speedy help, i had a lion, a clown, a semi, 2 butterflies, a goldie, a domino, a cleaner wrass,a starfish and a shrimp.Sorry bout earlier its a 6 foot(1.82m)tank. i bought a new tank that was running for a long time,after transportation i used the same water, added my rock and fish to tank(tank had a few rock as well). I had these strips to check the water and its compared to colour shades on the bottle, everything seemed normal. What do i do with the tank now, do i keep it running for a while or clean everything out and start fresh?

rudedog40

thanx rudedog40 for yr speedy help, i had a lion, a clown, a semi, 2 butterflies, a goldie, a domino, a cleaner wrass,a starfish and a shrimp.Sorry bout earlier its a 6 foot(1.82m)tank. i bought a new tank that was running for a long time,after transportation i used the same water, added my rock and fish to tank(tank had a few rock as well). I had these strips to check the water and its compared to colour shades on the bottle, everything seemed normal. What do i do with the tank now, do i keep it running for a while or clean everything out and start fresh?
I think you may have been misinformed from whoever you purchased this tank from, that you could immediately stock the tank as soon as you got it home. Logically it would make sense that if you used the same water, the tank would be ready to go. However, anytime you change the water parameters, or add new live rock, the tank will most likely start a new "cycle". If you're not familiar with the cycling process, do a search on this site and you will get a better understanding as to what that process is. The other problem you had is adding the number of livestock in the tank at one time. Saltwater tanks are a very delicate ecosysytem. You have to constantly monitor them for chemical changes that will affect the types of fish and invertebrates you put in it. When you add the number of fish as you did at one time, I imagine it sent most of the critical levels through the roof. Unfortunately, the little test strips you used aren't the best indicators of the levels you need to check for. You should get one of the Saltwater or Reef Test Kits you see at your local stores where you can test each individual level. Before adding ANY livestock to the tank, you want to at least have the following measurements - Ammonia - 0, Nitrites - 0, Nitates - 0, Ph - 8.2 to 8.4, Salinity - 1.023 - 1.026.
Once you have these levels stable, then you can start adding fish and inverts. A good start would be to put some hermit crabs and various snails in. You could also add 1 or 2 hardy fish - maybe a clown and a green chromis. After these livestock have been in for around a month, you can add another fish or two to the mix. Again, before adding anything else, you need to actively monitor all the critical levels to insure none get out of hand.
I'm new to this hobby as you. I've found out quickly that maintaining a saltwater tank takes a lot of work and effort. It's easy to get discouraged because of all the maintenance that has to be done - periodically checking water parameters, performing a 20% water change every month, checking the status and health of the livestock on a daily basis, etc. However, the enjoyment I get from watching all the 'action' that goes on inside the tank, makes it worth it to me.
If you really are interested in keeping saltwater livestock, then I'd say stick with it and start fresh. The best thing you can do right now is either do some research online, or purchase a good book on starting a saltwater aquarium. There's a whole lot of information you need to go over before attempting to add more livestock to your tank. The information I gave you above is the slow process for adding livestock to a new tank. However, there's a bunch of preliminary work you have to do to setup the tank to insure anything you add to it will stay healthy. Why don't you also post the equipment that came with the tank - lights, filters, powerheads, protein skimmer, sump, etc. The equipment you use plays a big part on how to maintain a healthy saltwater tank. Also, do you know how many gallons of water your tank holds?

dreamer44

if indeed it was ich...should they wait 6 weeks and so the tank sits fishless to make sure the ich has no host?
I think if you put more fish in before the 6 week period they could get ich and you'll be right back where you are again...??
if Im wrong on this someone please jump in and correct, thanks,
Good luck, and I hope you dont give up just yet, learn from the people here, and go slow and you should have success eventually, the people here are good people and a fantastic help to us newbs :)
Lori

1journeyman

Originally Posted by Dreamer44
if indeed it was ich...should they wait 6 weeks and so the tank sits fishless to make sure the ich has no host?
I think if you put more fish in before the 6 week period they could get ich and you'll be right back where you are again...??
if Im wrong on this someone please jump in and correct, thanks,
Good luck, and I hope you dont give up just yet, learn from the people here, and go slow and you should have success eventually, the people here are good people and a fantastic help to us newbs :)
Lori
Correct. The display tank should be allowed to run fish-less for 6 weeks. Continue to keep water parameters good and feed the tank to feed inverts and bacteria.