Help!

yvette_ajm

We are in the process of moving from Texas to Tennessee its a 16 hour drive but hauling a trailer it'll take us a while longer maybe a couple days...
I love my fish and wanna bring them along with us but i have no idea how to do that....I dont want my fish to die so i was gonna go to the LFS and see if they had any suggestions how to transport them there without dying. If its not possible I will give them back to the LFS :( anyone ever traveled before with fish?

Y

yote

Just pack them like your going to ship them.And dont forget the heat packs.Its finally starting to get winter.
What part of Tennessee are you moving to?

wfd1008

i maoved from kansas to kentucky, but did it non-stop. i used 5-gal buckets and a large tub i bought at wally world. i put my corals in the buckets and LR and water went into the tub along with the substrate. again, it only took me about 15 hrs. with the fish, i would think that if you got a battery powered air pump, and changed some water in route, it should work for you. or maybe you could work out a deal with the lfs and when you get to where you're going, they could ship your fish to you.

yvette_ajm

How do u ship them? and where can i get heat packs? Im kinda new to this and i would really hate to see them die. Were moving to Knoxville :) Im excited.

Y

yote

Wal-mart should have some of the hand warmer packs in the sporting goods department.There not expensive and will usually last for 6 to 8 hours.
You'll also be happy to know that there is a good reef club in Knoxville.Along with a couple of good LFS's.

coraljunky

Originally Posted by Yvette_AJM
How do u ship them? and where can i get heat packs? Im kinda new to this and i would really hate to see them die. Were moving to Knoxville :) Im excited.
Shipping would take longer and increase their stress. 5 gallon bucket and an aerator.

yvette_ajm

If i get large tubs for the fish it would be hard. All we are driving is an F-150 with no backseat because theres a speaker box back there now :( so there is hardly any room in the truck for tubs and buckets. I would hate to put them in the bed of the truck that would prolly be a bad ride for them. Maybe its a bad idea to bring them to knoxville..

yvette_ajm

What is a reef club? The only lfs we've seen is the coral reef, i wanted to see what they had but by the time we found the store it was 7:10 or so and they close at 7 :( which other lfs are there in knoxville?

Y

yote

Its a club dedicated to reef keeping.
If I'm thinking right,there are 3 or 4 good LFSs in Knoxville.Cant remember the names or where their at because I only get up that way once or twice a year.
There are 2 great LFSs about an hour south of knoxville,in Chattanooga.Both are great and know their stuff.Not your typical LFS's.

yvette_ajm

We have a yellow tang (3-4 inches), a yellow tail damsel (bout an inch or so), and the other is a blackish purple fish with a white spot on the top...i dont remember the name of it..i thought it was a kind of damsel but i guess not...anyway its about 2 inches.

wfd1008

could you move the spearker box for the trip to give you more room in the cab? it might be more trouble than it's worth. it sounds like all you'd need is a couple of 5 gal buckets with tops and some salt to do a water change with. if you don't want to get a portable air pump, then every time you stop at a rest stop, just mix the water around a bit to get some air to them. you might even be able to get away with just one bucket for the fish and one bucket for some LR and substrate. you can make a fresh mix when you get to where your going.