help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

joshh

2 days ago i tested my water everyting was fine,
tank had been set up for 14 weeks, so i added a green carpet that is all i have besides a pb tang that i have had for 4 weeks, i add 5 drops of liqud calcium,5 drops of iodine, 5 drops of strontium & molybdenum. and now my ammonia is in between 1.0 & 2.0 why what did i do and how do i get them down ph is fine nitrite 0.25, nitrate 40ppm

kijak

did you add any of the water from the LFS. That may of been high in amonnia? What size is the tank?

nss11110

might have been the green carpet, changed the load just enough to raise the ammonia level. it probably purged itself and released its junk from inside it and theres your ammonia level. how big of a carpet?

nss11110

not the carpet then . did anything else change? was the filter changed at same time? is the test kit accurate? how old is the kit? take a sample of water to the lfs and have them test it to verify your readings. the way to lower ammonia is but doing a water change. not to big though making sure your getting anything off the bottom that doesnt belong there.

q

I agree. Get the water tested and confirm the numbers. If so start doing large water changes. It wouldn't hurt to start mixing now just incase.
If your levels are that bad I would not be suprised if your tang gets ick so keep a close eye on it.
If you havn't added anything to the tank and the numbers are correct then something is dead and/or decaying. Find it and get it out.