help!

gowebster

can i use quikerete sand from lowes if i mix it 50/50 with live sand..im doing a 1000gal aqurium and want to save a little bit of money ..

jackri

For making live rock?
If you do just be sure to fully cure it out and let all the minerals leech out of it first over the course of 30 days or so. I know people use a specific mix and I would double check into that.. but you can make your own live rock really cheap.

veni vidi vici

Im not sure of the make up of Quikcrete sand.you should try and find out if its agronite based or silica.
Ill see if i can find some info

reefboy1994

I made the rock in my tank with portland cement and ground oyster shells. DO NOT USE QUICKRETE I REPEAT DO NOT USE IT. the rocks in quickrete will leach copper and other BAD trace elements into your tank. I dont remember the ratio of portland cement to oyster shells i used. Oh yeah, use oyster shells because it wil maye your tank more porus, a lot nicer looking, and a lot lighter than using sand. a lot lighter! I got the portland cement from home depot for $10 for 90 pounds and i got the ground oyster shells for like $12 for 25 pounds. you buy the ground oyster shells at a feed store for livestock. I cured my rock in freshwater for 1 month...keep checking the ph of the water it is curing in untill it is as low as you want.

veni vidi vici

Originally Posted by reefboy1994
http:///forum/post/2965738
I made the rock in my tank with portland cement and ground oyster shells. DO NOT USE QUICKRETE I REPEAT DO NOT USE IT. the rocks in quickrete will leach copper and other BAD trace elements into your tank. I dont remember the ratio of portland cement to oyster shells i used. Oh yeah, use oyster shells because it wil maye your tank more porus, a lot nicer looking, and a lot lighter than using sand. a lot lighter! I got the portland cement from home depot for $10 for 90 pounds and i got the ground oyster shells for like $12 for 25 pounds. you buy the ground oyster shells at a feed store for livestock. I cured my rock in freshwater for 1 month...keep checking the ph of the water it is curing in untill it is as low as you want.
The OP was talking about substrate not DIY rock.

naclh2o nut

Why skimp on sand, if you are doing a 1000 gal. your cost are going to be everywhere. Lights, pumps, salt, etc... I would think that the price of regular sand would be a small portion to risk so much. Go with the correct sand.
Lets see some pics as you go. That has to be one monster to move. i am thinking a wall. i am going broke just thinking about corals to put in there. party:

jackri

Originally Posted by reefboy1994
http:///forum/post/2965738
Thanks for the info -- think this is what I'm going to do for myself but just wasn't sure on the mixture and type!