Helping out a friend with a 46 Bowfront

dmanatee

Hello all! I haven't started a thread on here is seems in ages! Anyway, I am helping some friends "restock" their 46 bow front reef aquarium. It crashed awhile ago after the lfs gave them alot of bad advice. They had over 10 fish in their tank, including a yellow tang needless to say, their tank crashed and just about everything died!!! I have helped them to restore the tank after the ammonia crash.

It has been about three months since their tank crashed and now I am looking to you all for some fish suggestions to give them for a potential stock list. (My friends are Turkish and have difficulties with English and have been sold down the river one to many times with their aquarium.) They are trusting in me to help them, and I want to make sure that I am giving them better advice than they have been given.

Their current stock is as follows:
hang on back refugium, with ample macro algae.
I think its a Tunze protein skimmer (not exactly sure)
Rena xp 2
~40 lbs of live rock
corals frogspawn and Kenya tree
1 fire fish
1 pajama cardinal
1 skunk cleaner shrimp
many snails of various varieties

They would like another fish or two.

I was thinking some type of goby: like a hectors goby
and maybe a carpenters wrasse? (that might be pushing it)

any help would be greatly appreciated.

jay0705

Hectors gobys are nice. I have one. Maybe a pygmy hawk. Or a dragonet. Given the proper food

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay0705 http:///t/396392/helping-out-a-friend-with-a-46-bowfront#post_3531817
Hectors gobys are nice. I have one. Maybe a pygmy hawk. Or a dragonet. Given the proper food

Hectors goby is pretty small, I like my little guy too, a Rainford's goby has better coloring I think (same fish different color...Hectors has green stripes, Rainford's has red)

A green Mandarine (very pretty dragonet)...since you have a nice refugium, seed it with copepods, then wait another 6 months or more so you have a great population of them going. That's all the mandarin eats... once in a blue moon they learn to eat frozen, but you can't count on that.

LOL...It's just a personal choice, but I don't like the way a pigmy hawk looks. I would try a dwarf angelfish.

jay0705

Ok now it's on! Picking on my pygmy hawk!!!!!! Lol jk. Hectors are small. Rainfords I've never seen in person. If u can find prawn roe every dragnet I've had eats it. Mandy's, scooter blennys,red scooter all eat it. Iam guessing in the wild they must feed on roe as well as little critters. Mine also eat hikari marine s pellets. Idk what's in them. Dragonets don't eat that stuff. Hence why I fed them roe, but in feeding my other fish I noticed them sucking them rt off the sand bed! Lol now my Mandy goes nose to nose w my fox eating them up lol I don't suggest relying on this however. The roe yes if u have depleted pods or just want to supplement there food they like the roe.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay0705 http:///t/396392/helping-out-a-friend-with-a-46-bowfront#post_3531832
Ok now it's on! Picking on my pygmy hawk!!!!!! Lol jk. Hectors are small. Rainfords I've never seen in person. If u can find prawn roe every dragnet I've had eats it. Mandy's, scooter blennys,red scooter all eat it. Iam guessing in the wild they must feed on roe as well as little critters. Mine also eat hikari marine s pellets. Idk what's in them. Dragonets don't eat that stuff. Hence why I fed them roe, but in feeding my other fish I noticed them sucking them rt off the sand bed! Lol now my Mandy goes nose to nose w my fox eating them up lol I don't suggest relying on this however. The roe yes if u have depleted pods or just want to supplement there food they like the roe.

LOL...The color is awesome, but that body shape....no....

OP has a refugium, so there should be plenty of pods.

jay0705

I though so w mine too. But w my like of the dragonets I wanted to make sure they all had food. Yea the body shape is interesting lol

jay0705

Really? Hmm nothing bothers mine. I have a red scooter w him and there fine. The only sand sifter I have is my hectors tho.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay0705 http:///t/396392/helping-out-a-friend-with-a-46-bowfront#post_3531882
Really? Hmm nothing bothers mine. I have a red scooter w him and there fine. The only sand sifter I have is my hectors tho.

A little scooter won't hurt anything. My Golden headed sleeper Goby (Sand-sifting Goby) killed my mandarin. LOL....I had my hectors goby for weeks before I even noticed it sifted a few grains of sand, until then I had no idea it was a little sand sifter, I purchased it because someone told me it ate algae.

dmanatee

Thanks for the suggestions. I am going to probably not suggest the mandarine, on the fact that it would be hard to explain to the tank owners about the special requirements for feeding. But a I love the other suggestions.