Heniochus in a Reef Tank

jumpfrog

Has anyone had any good experiences with a Heniochus in a reef tank? Tank size? Tankmates? Research indicates some may do great while others may attack sessile inverts.

wamp

They are not as delicate as the Morish Idol... And look similiar..
As far as reef safe, I may be wrong here, but I believe they will pick at sponges and corals...
I will have to look them up... Got me curious now..

mvogel2

i'd really like to know too! i'm cycling a 125 gallon setup and thought about getting 3 of them so they would school... now i am just thinking about getting one... i think they are really cool looking fish...
from what i've heard it's kind of up in the air about being reef safe...most might nip at corals and some don't i think it just depends on the individual fish... i'm putting one in my reef setup as well and i am concerned...
if anyone has some more info that would be great.
later
matt

mvogel2

do you know which is sold here on SWF.com?? i was under the impression that the one being sold here was the bannerfish.
thanks
matt

All of the online suppliers that I have found only offer the H. acuminatus, if they even go so far as to name the species. I have been looking for a source for the schooling bannerfish, H. diphreutes, as well. Anyone know of one??
Thanks,
-Christine

tangman99

I had one in my tank for over a year when it was a FO. I tried to keep him when I converted to a reef, but he kept pulling my feather dusters out of their tubes and picking at any coral I added to the tank. I had to take him in for a credit.

jumpfrog

Hmmmm, as I guessed. Not a strong opinion either way. My concern is that with the two most available species being so close that I have a good chance of getting a reef destroyer.
Back to the drawing board:confused: