Hep Please With Tomato Clown

sallen

Here is a pic of my one of my Tclowns. I have noticed that they are going quite dark on the sides like black and are not like a bright redish clour. He is quite small (juvy) is this normal or not???

poniegirl

Mine changed from the bright orange to almost black, also. Only after he began to host a BTA. Mine was 3 yrs old before this (hosting BTA and changing color) happened. I wondered if it is some kind of chemical reaction to toxins from the anemone that would kill other fish? The only orange left on mine is his fins and face in front of his stripe.

anonome

The tomato clowns from figi are darker in color. I have a tomato juvi that is mostly black bodied, some orange, but black fins, except for his tail, which is very orange. His stripe is very, very white. Truely a beautiful fish. I paid quite a bit more than the average tomato clown for mine, was skeptical at first, but did a search and sure enough they are darker in figi than anywhere else. Now I wish I had gotten two. He is still in my quarantine tank for at least another 2 wks. Can't wait to see which anemone he choses the BTA or LTA.

sallen

looks like mine too. We must have a batch from figi that have the darker body. Thanks for the pics ponie and your intel Anon.

sallen

I was watching my tank tonight and what do you know i saw a samll baby octopus crawling around my rocks. It is brown in colour. What should i do with it????

gpyetiman

I've heard they will escape from your tank and eat everything in your tank. But I have had no personal experience. Maybe remove him and sell to your LFS. :jumping:

sallen

its going to be hard to remove him cause he's so small and can easily hide inside my rocks. hopefully he does escape and ill get the little sucker then.

anonome

Originally Posted by gpyetiman
I've heard they will escape from your tank and eat everything in your tank. But I have had no personal experience. Maybe remove him and sell to your LFS. :jumping:
I doubt very seriously that you have a baby octopus, probably a small brittle star. These are typical hitchikers. I have many in my tank, they are wonderful scavengers.

anonome

Originally Posted by sallen
I was watching my tank tonight and what do you know i saw a samll baby octopus crawling around my rocks. It is brown in colour. What should i do with it????
I doubt very seriously that you have a baby octopus. It is probably a juvi brittle star, they are wonderful scavengers. I have many in my tank that hitchiked on my live rock. Good find.

sallen

its definately a octopus i will try and get a pic next time. What does the brittle star look like???any pics