Here fishey...

ladd

I currently have 4 damsels in my 75, and I am ready to get on to "real" fish. I have 2 domino damsels and 2 convict damsels, it seems that the convicts are the more aggressive of the 4.
1. Should I get rid of all of them, or just the convicts? I really like the looks of the dominos.
2. Has anyone ever "trapped" them. I really hate to take all of my rocks out to catch them. I was thinking of getting a breeding net - for freshwater - cutting a hole in it, and putting food in it in hopes of trapping them.
3. Getting on to real fish... I was thinking of starting with clowns. Either a pair of tomatoe or percula, which will be more hardy? And ending with a purple or chevron tang. What would be good to put in between the clowns and the tang?
Thanks in advance...

kris

My Opinion--Ditch all of the damsels-from what I know you've got the most aggressive damsels of all. And what you really want to add are the most peaceful of creatures. There is nothing more infuriating than watching a $10 fish chewing up a $110 fish. As far as catching the little guys I've never tried what you are suggesting, But it sounds like it just might work. Otherwise have fun redecorating you tank! As far as what else in between your clowns and tangs, there are a million options, check the compatabitlity charts though with not only what you have but with what you eventually want as well.

the rock

the rock says...
keep the damsels if you like them but don't blame us if they bug every new intro you put in your tank. convicts should definately go. either of the clowns are very hardy. a purple or chevron is a great idea, both great fish, in between? what else do you want, i always suggest the same combo, dwarf wrasse, dwarf angel, blenny, goby, basslet, and a flame hawk, all hardy, easy to keep, colorful, and active, plus what you have already mentioned

damsel

i used 2 damsels to cycle then got rid of them, traded them back to lfs. i had a piece of screen and moved all the rock over to one side then kind of swished them over and put the screen in to block them from getting back. i was soaked but i got them out. pull the shades and take your shirt off first. anyhow, i now have a pair of small percula clowns and a goldenhead sleeper goby. both reccomended by several people as good starter fish, they all are friendly and eating well. good luck

fish guy

I like damsels. I have a 75 gallon reef tank with 5 yellowtails. They chase each other around and leave all other fish alone. In fact my white faced tang scatters the damsel school by swimming fast through it. If you like your Dominos buy more. Just be sure to add other fiesty fish in. No cardinals etc. Try a bunch of dominos, a tang, a pygmy angel, a dottyback, some clowns, etc. Damsels really are not that bad and it is really cool to watch a group display and interact with each other.