1 more mag 350 (not imidietly)
2 smaller powerheads
sea clone 100
any sugestions additions
and im not bothering with live rock untill everything else is done
tank size is 90 gal

T

thomas712

My first suggestion would be more research. Personally I don't like canister filters, expecially on large tanks.
I would consider having your tank drilled for internal overflow, then add a sump underneath the tank, this alone will eliminate having to add two cansiter filters and a sump would be alot easier to maintain. The overflow would help to surface skim the top of the water column removing the DOC's to the sump where a skimmer could process the water and return it to the main.
Don't put much stock in all those additives unless you also have test kits for them. Calcium and alkalinity additives are fine, but most of the rest of them can be replaced by water changes.
I highly recommend Maxi Jet powerheads.
I would also get a 150-200 gallon bucket of one kind of salt, with a 90 gallon you will need it. When I get near the end of my salt supply I usually purchase 2 buckets at a time.
Don't cycle your tank with fish, just use a cocktail shrimp from the super market or your local deli.
On my 90, which is drilled for internal overflow, I have a 20 gallon sump(formally a wet/dry) which has my heater and protien skimmer, I use an external pump to return the water to the main and it returns threw a spraybar which helps to evenly distribute the water for better flow. I still use one or two powerheads for extra water flow. I do own a fluval canister filter but rarely use it, only to run large amounts of carbon and phosphate removers, and then only for a couple of days. For natural filtration I use about 150 pounds of live rock, 80 pounds of sand and good water flow. I also have 55 gallon refugium attached.
Main thing I'd like to see you consider is either having the tank drilled for internal overflow or add an external overflow that would lead to a sump underneath your main tank. This will eliminate having to purchase those hang on back filters or canisters.
Thomas

msd2

Originally posted by jesatfis
1 aquaclear powerhead 901
1 magnum 350 deluxe
2 bags 50 lbs live sand
60 galons instant ocean sea salt
35 gallons reef crystals
aqua +
cycle
Kent :
essential elements
amonia detox
pro buffer
liquid calcium
iodine
strontium and molybdenum
planing to add
emporer 400
1 more mag 350 (not imidietly)
2 smaller powerheads
sea clone 100
any sugestions additions
and im not bothering with live rock untill everything else is done
tank size is 90 gal

My 2 cents :)
-ditch the aqua ph, I really like the seio's, high water flow, wide dispersion and mine have been going over 6 months w/o any problems.
forget the canister, do the sump/fuge setup. If you want to do it right the first time and save yourself lots of hassle just go for it. Like it was suggested built in is the best but hob overflows also work very well, I suggest armicale (sp?) or lifereef.
As far as all the chemicals save ur money, but I would get the ken kdh buffer if ur placing one big order. I use kents turbo calcium and a little goes a long way.
I actually use two different types of salt myself, Oceanic and instant ocean. Works for me and the oceanic always brings the Ca levels up to the limits.
Id suggest saving that money and getting more lr with it :joy:

hadewood

so here is my deal, i started with six damsels, a snowflake eel, six pounds live rock, and a forty pound bag of sea salt, tap water, atleast ten pounds of dried shells from kawaihae, hawaii, and some patience. the eel lasted three years, and was an amazing, intelligent creature. he would eat squid and krill from my fingers. he was so small when i got him, and when "pui" died, he was 20 inches long, half an inch in diameter, after almost three years. great animal to have, for starters, imo. i didnt want to, but was "given" for a birthday present an australian rock hermit. spotted legs, w/ blue dots. damn thing grubbed everything. except my eel, and "lunch," the smallest blue/yellowtail damsel ever. weird how nature is. sold that damn thing back to my lfs, and went thru my m/b books, and let the tank do its thing, only adding 20 lbs. more live sand, and 45 lbs. more live rock from tonga and fiji. i chilled out on my tank for two years w/ an eel, and three damsels.
now, i have completely changed to cycled h2o from my lfs, called catalina h2o. i now am the proud parent of 3 active blue damsels, 1 voracious yellow tang, 1 timid zebra damsel, 1 shy domino damsel, 1 classy coral beauty, 1 rambunctious tomato clown, 1 12" spongebob orangetree, 2 serpent stars, 1 brittle star, 5 peppermint shrimp, soon to be alot, 2 coral-banded shrimp, 3 emerald crabs, 1 orange anemone crab, 40 narcissus and turbo snails, 1 lettuce nudibranch, really cool btw, 1 neon goby, and probably 40-60 redlegged, bluelegged, and hawaiian zebra hermits. my tank i scored from an old school 80's guy i worked with, and its a 70 gallon sea clear, with a sump underneath the stand, running thru bio balls, micro fiber, charcoal bag, wave action protein skimmer, and two pwoer heads, rio 2100 and rio 80. i moved houses, and when i did, it set off the most amazing reaction in my tank. everything motteled, bloomed, reproduced, or tried to, and ate like crazy. nothing has gotten sick, or died. my marine biology professor explained that the ocean is a symbiotic relationship, like a clown and anemone, and that a reef is a oasis in a lifeless desert. i tried to keep everything symbiotic to the rest, or hoped nature would take its course. i would like to get a 300 gl tank, as that my next goal is a shark. but never in this tank. very quiet, very low maintenence, water changes every three months, let everything help each other. i love my obsession. and less face it, it really can get to be. i have spent 350 on the tank, the pumps, the skimmer, the sump, even the heater. just lucky for once. all of these have been in the tank from 6 months ---> a year.
the only thing i can really say, is be patient, patient, patient. one day it will be totally worth it.