Here is My 7 gallon Nano Reef Project

plum70rt

Ok what do you think,? it will have dual PC lights 27 watt and 9 watt, filter, skimmer, Oak canopy, its a acrylic cube, any Ideas on what to creatures to add ?, Corals?

plum70rt

there is about 9 lbs of fiji and fla rock in there, small pieces some have polups already on them

plum70rt

first chamber is overflow and heater chamber 50 watter,
2nd is skimmer then filter, then pump chamber

leigh

I think you've got too much money to spend. Want a grad student to support? Or want a grad student's fish tank to support? :D
Seriously though, your tanks are beatiful. I love your 260 and these pics look like the 7 gallon nano will turn into a beautiful tank. I really like how all your tanks are "done right" so to speak. You look like you really put the time, effort, and $$ into setting up a good system...not just scraping together what you can, when you can, like so many of us do...:rolleyes:

plum70rt

Very good Leigh, you got me down pretty good,
If its not done right Im not happy, :(
its got to look like it should be in the showroom or I will not be happy,I try my best, things are not cheap in this hobby yes thats true, when I moved I brought a 135 gallon with me to fla , I knew pieced together it would never be what I wanted so, 262,
I looked at eclipses , :( too plain
this should be a good little setup)

plum70rt

I got about 500 in it so far, I found it at a garage sale, was never setup , was supposed to be on an excutives desk, I changed the lights and put in a pump for skimmer, heater , Sand, rock,
an Eclipses setup is much cheaper

leigh

oh, as for livestock...i know i'm a weirdo with this, but i always figured if i had a nano i'd do something totally different. no clowns or anything like that, i'd do just 1 puffer (if non-reef) or a purple lobster (if reef). something unique, ya know? (my lfs guy has this crab that's HUGE now, it's, well, i don't know size, but HUGE, it tears silversides to shreds in seconds...he just wants to get rid of it, apparently someone brought it in when it ate a tang or something wacky like that. i keep contemplating a nano for that bugger).

plum70rt

Also this tank will be in the FMAS show ,
(Florida Marine aquarium Society)
in May at the Fishing hall of Fame in Ft Lauderdale
winner gets a week all expense paid in the Cayman Islands, lots of other prizes, 92 gallon bow front setup full of corals,
other stuff too, This will be my first entry
hhhmmm, purple lobster,maybe:) :)

leigh

just make sure you remember this poor grad student when you win that 92 bowfront or need a caddy in the caymans :D

Make sure u get this 13 year old some hook ups also!
Man I want that tank sooo badly.. I wanted something EXACTLY like that, with a built in w/d or somthing liek that in the back, nothing showing, etc. AHhhhhh....

leigh

a tad of lemon, perhaps a little safron.
depending on how you're working the lighting of course, a clam with some nice blues in it could be aesthetically pleasing with a purple lobster. perched up top in case the lobster gets curious...with some purple or blue shrooms in the corner...i'm picturing my 5th grade art teacher explaining to us how you're supposed to have the color theme in a triangle to compliment itself...he he, i bet she thought i didn't learn a thing, take that mrs nincrest!
i'm really a fan of purples blues and whites though. if i were you, and if i had the money, i'd go purple lobster, blue clam (i forget the technical names but the smallest of them) up top perched on rock, purple and blue mushrooms all along the sides and filling in obvious open space and some bubble coral as highlights and for color contrast. but hey, that's just me.

N

newreefers

here is a pic of a 2.5 nano, just for some ideas.
unfortunately this isn't my tank, just a pic I am using for ideas for my nano

sammystingray

I have a purple lobster, and although they are cool, I would NOT recommend one for the tank setup you seem to want.....first off...you will NEVER see him. They stay hidden almost 100% of the time, and of course hunt at night, but you may not even see him then. I basically have to move the rock he is behind to ever see mine. They are very aggressive. Mine is still quite small, but he is a very good hunter, and spends much of his time grabbing the larger amphipods in the tank. Mine is in a tank all by himself, and I'm sure a larger one could take down a live fish. I also personally wouldn't put a clam, of any type, under 36 watts of lights.:) Yet another beautiful setup.....That's probably one of the best looking nano setups I've seen, and there isn't even anything in it yet.:)

plum70rt

Clams are not in the plan, Ok purple lobster is out:(
72 watts on 7 gallon, 10+ watt per gallon,
what you think would be good in there?

leigh

sammy,
i know he said he doesn't want a clam, so this is really just for my own personal/future knowledge, but you don't think a clam would thrive in 7 gal with 72 watts (most of which is white light?) I know it's not metal halides...but still that 10:1 ratio is pretty nice! And wow, I didn't realize purple lobsters are so much more aggressive than this website says, though I suppose it wouldn't be the first time personal experience is different from what's on the web :)
Plum...as for more ideas, i'm all out...most of the critters that i think are really cool are nocturnal or hide a lot and you won't see them much anyhow if that's a problem, but good luck with it! :)

wet bar

What adding a Blue Lobster? I have had owned one in the past, and did not have any problems with it being aggressive. Especially if it is the only thing in the tank, you will get very little left over food (whether flake or direct feeding), and they add little to a bio-load.
They are very attractive under lighting that is either white, or white+actinic.
I wish I had a picture, but I am sure you can find one around the web:D

kiddow

nice set up
fyi
one of the lfs store here has a small nano with one small fish ( not sure what kind it is) and a REALLY big shrimp, he is soo cool, very white w/alittle bit of red and yellow. they called him a snow shrimp
just thought you would like to know