here it goes

ok i have a few questions so here it goes:
1 i have a very thick green algea on my glass, what is it and how do i get rid of it?
2 i just got back from spring break (myrtle beach) and while i was there i found a few pieces of rock that i think would be nice in my tank, shoud i put them in, and what should i do to get any diseases/ other bad stuff off of them.
3 is there any way to keep bluelegs from eating my snails(im going to get more and don't want to waste the cash if the crabs are just gonna have a feast)

rayraypico

1. scrape it off and add snails and crabs to you clean up crew. Your tank is probably fairly new and still in the cycling phase. Try adding a phosphate bag you may have a high number of phosphates or nitrates. Try to test for both. When I got rid of my phosphates it was the end of my algea problems
2. By adding the rock, 1st if its alive you risk adding parisites if it is not alive you could boil it then add it. (don't advise getting live rock from the ocean its illegal)
3. Blue legs are semi aggressive I just look at it as the cost of maintaining the tank. Every 3-4 months I will go and buy another 20 snails. If you want purchase red leg hermits which could be less aggressive but more expensive.

in response: thanks and,
1. i tried scraping it off with no success, ill try the phosphate bag and add some snails
2. the rock i got is not live( and i dont think it ever was) it was washed up on the beach, it almost looks like termite ridden wood that was petrified, not like any live rock i have ever seen, any ideas? (brown color, differing sized holes, found in myrtle beach if that helps)
3. i will look into scarlet hermits but still add some more snails
thanks again

beaslbob

Originally posted by greenbananas87
ok i have a few questions so here it goes:
1 i have a very thick green algea on my glass, what is it and how do i get rid of it?

Best short term and long term way to reduce or eliminate is to add plant life. That will starve the this algae plant life and continue the beneficial plant life effects.
2 i just got back from spring break (myrtle beach) and while i was there i found a few pieces of rock that i think would be nice in my tank, shoud i put them in, and what should i do to get any diseases/ other bad stuff off of them.

you might want to cure them in a seperate container for three weeks first. But you should be able to use them/
3 is there any way to keep bluelegs from eating my snails(im going to get more and don't want to waste the cash if the crabs are just gonna have a feast)

From what I hear crabs will bother the snails.

bob i have plant life (enough to where i had to start weeding it out/ in tank no fuge) still no help (algea from lights being left on to long while on vacation [no timer])
the rocks are not live so do i still need to cure it, or is that to prevent parasites, could i just boil it for like 5mins
thanks for the replys

beaslbob

In that case if you clean of the extra plant life and return the lighting to the original, then the algae will probably not return.
I wanted to make sure that:
1) any parasites had died out from lack of a host fish.
2) any possible toxins or polution had leached out.
Actually you would probably be safe just putting it in your tank. But suggested that just to make sure.