Here we go!!!

clayton

I have decided to turn my reef keeping and marine biology into a business.
To start with I will be looking at propogating soft corals - I have decided on 6 species to work on first - for commercial sale.
I will also start off working on developing and producing new skimmers, filters and lighting systems.
Needless to say it is not possible to give up my day job at the moment, but will spend the next 6 months to a year, developing systems and methods, and testing the market.
Anybody with ideas that could help would be greatly appreciated.
Wish me luck!!!

bobsingh1

Good luck clayton !!
There's nothing like a profession that is also a hobby and puts food on the table. Here's an idea
Create a booklet of all the necessary information that a novice hobbyist needs when setting up a saltwater tank. I haven't seen anything like that yet. I have seen books on the shelf regarding this hobby but that on average is 200 pages long and too expensive for someone who has no idea as to what kind of expense blackhole he is getting into.
A small booklet that sells with a kit, stating not only what when how to do and avoid but also stating the delicate nature and balance of this hobby.

clayton

Good idea - thanks! Anymore anyone??
Originally posted by Bobsingh1:
Good luck clayton !!
There's nothing like a profession that is also a hobby and puts food on the table. Here's an idea
Create a booklet of all the necessary information that a novice hobbyist needs when setting up a saltwater tank. I haven't seen anything like that yet. I have seen books on the shelf regarding this hobby but that on average is 200 pages long and too expensive for someone who has no idea as to what kind of expense blackhole he is getting into.
A small booklet that sells with a kit, stating not only what when how to do and avoid but also stating the delicate nature and balance of this hobby.

jtoliver

Sell everything below cost, and I will buy from you. ha ha. No really, I like the booklet idea, it seems like so many people get into this hobby without knowing anything, and then get burnt because they bought the wrong stuff the first time. Anything to relieve this problem will be an asset to the hobby. When are you going to set up your lunar cycle propagation system?

clayton

Originally posted by jtoliver:
Sell everything below cost, and I will buy from you. ha ha. No really, I like the booklet idea, it seems like so many people get into this hobby without knowing anything, and then get burnt because they bought the wrong stuff the first time. Anything to relieve this problem will be an asset to the hobby. When are you going to set up your lunar cycle propagation system?

The lunar cycle will go on my own hobby tank to start with. Spawnings and rearing is going to be a long-term project. It can take a settled larvae a year to reach 10mm diameter. Asexual cutting and propogating is much more financially viable. I have several soft corals at the moment that I can cut on a 1-2 week basis. My first species is to be xenia elongata, which I am aiming to get a turn around time on of 5 weeks.

porkypuffer

THE ONLY ADVICE I HAVE ON DEVELOPING YOUR ON LINE OF EQUIPMENT IS THAT SIMPLISITY EQUALS RELIABILITY. WORKING IN THE A/C AND HEATING FIELD I'VE SEEN THAT ALOT OF ENGINEERS NEVER LEARNED THIS IN SCHOOL. WISH YOU ALOT OF LUCK.

clayton

Thanks Porky. Hope the tanks going well.
Originally posted by PORKYPUFFER:
THE ONLY ADVICE I HAVE ON DEVELOPING YOUR ON LINE OF EQUIPMENT IS THAT SIMPLISITY EQUALS RELIABILITY. WORKING IN THE A/C AND HEATING FIELD I'VE SEEN THAT ALOT OF ENGINEERS NEVER LEARNED THIS IN SCHOOL. WISH YOU ALOT OF LUCK.

porkypuffer

TANKS DOING PRETTY GOOD. I NOW HAVE A LIONFISH, FOXFACE, PICASO TRIGGER AND OF COARSE A PORCUPINE PUFFER. I ADDED A LARGE TURBO SNAIL TO CLEAN THE BACK GLASS, WILL ADD ANOTHER IF HE DOESN'T TURN INTO ESCARGO FOR THE TRIGGER. THE TRIGGER PICKED AT HIS SHELL ONCE OR TWICE BUT I KEEP HIM WELL FED. NITRATES STILL SUCK. STARTED TO BUILD A COIL DENITRAFIER JUST HAVEN'T GOT AROUND TO FINISHING AND INSTALLING IT. GOING TO TEE IT INTO THE OUTLET HOSE OF MY CANISTER FILTER. I'LL LET Y'ALL KNOW HOW IT COMES OUT.

clayton

Might be worth trying an algal scrubber.
TANKS DOING PRETTY GOOD. I NOW HAVE A LIONFISH, FOXFACE, PICASO TRIGGER AND OF COARSE A PORCUPINE PUFFER. I ADDED A LARGE TURBO SNAIL TO CLEAN THE BACK GLASS, WILL ADD ANOTHER IF HE DOESN'T TURN INTO ESCARGO FOR THE TRIGGER. THE TRIGGER PICKED AT HIS SHELL ONCE OR TWICE BUT I KEEP HIM WELL FED. NITRATES STILL SUCK. STARTED TO BUILD A COIL DENITRAFIER JUST HAVEN'T GOT AROUND TO FINISHING AND INSTALLING IT. GOING TO TEE IT INTO THE OUTLET HOSE OF MY CANISTER FILTER. I'LL LET Y'ALL KNOW HOW IT COMES OUT.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
That's great Clayton! If you can develop a skimmer that works for my tank, consider ME as your first customer! Also, I'd kill for a custom made lighting canopy that would fit my "bow"-front 72gal aquarium.
I don't know how you are with web development, but I suggest you definately go that route. If you can develop a work at home type of setup with little overhead, obviously you can pass the savings on to customers and attract more sales. And these days, who wouldn't prefer Work-at-Home to going in to work??? If you are thinking online, this type of BB is a very good way to go, or, perhaps even developing a chat room setup where you are available certain times of week to offer "expert" chat on the hobby, equipt, etc! You can start out now by developing a web page and letting fellow hobbysts know how to get there.
Good Luck!

tjswanson

The protein skimmer I use is always spitting up foam and that brown crap. I bought mine used at my LFS. The brand name is big mombasa. they are 130$ brand new.

clayton

It's a seperate container that holds algae like caulerpa. The macro algae consume nitrates. You can set up a shallow tray above your sump that has water trickling through it and a couple of tubes above. You then crop the algae on a 1-2 week basis. You can also allow patches to grow in you tank in controlled areas. It's a great way of keeping nitrates and also hair algae down.
HAY CLAYTON, WHAT'S AN ALGAL SCRUBBER?

thebatcave

Hang in there for the first year. I think if you can gain customers and start a good business you'll do great. Be prepared not to make large profits right off the bat.

clayton

The ones at the Great Barrier Reef Aquarium have a surface arear far less than that of the tank and the depth ratio is obviously less in small aquaria.
On previous tanks I have had very little skimming, no live rock/sand - only wet/dry. The tank was full of rapidly growing caulerpa. I virtually never did a water change and the nitrates were zero. I was pulling out about a carrier bag full every 2-3 weeks.
I would think you would only need a surface area of 3sq feet for a 65g, but it would obviously depend on load and growth rate of the algae.
But beware, caulerpas compete for nutrients and also produce caulerpin which may inhibit the groeth of corals.
I think this system is safe if maintained properly.
Originally posted by Peter B:
Clayton, I heard those algea scrubbers dont work unless they are huge. Keep in mine, I have never used one its just what I have heard and as most of you know you hear a lot of things in this hobby. Have you had good success with them.

clayton

Carbon would remove any colour pigments, but why is that Ranger? By the way did you get my email?
Originally posted by Reef Ranger:
The main problem with the algae scrubbers is that over time your water will take on a yellow tint to it...rather un attractive.
-Ranger-

clayton

Well the system for propogating soft corals has now been up and running in the back garden for about a week. If there proves to be enough light in this country (rainy England) then this will be a very inexpensive way to rapidly produce soft coral.
For the myriad of people that are unhappy with their skimmers - I am working on it, I am off to a plastics manufacturers this weekend with the latest designs. You could all help me out though - what are your complaints about the skimmers you have, design, performance etc???
Also what do you think of "wave makers", or pulse systems for pumps?? What have you seen and whats it like?
Finally, how about this: a piece of filtration equipment that virtually eliminates the need for bacterial filtration and live rock as well???? The theory is there but can I make it work?........
Thanks for all your help so far folks, you have been fantastic.
[This message has been edited by clayton (edited 09-14-2000).]

fubr

Yo Clayton,
I have a great idea, and this has to do with the damsels...You should make like a mini slurp gun that could fit in one hand and be easily used in small to large tanks. I was thinking of getting a large needle and taking off the needle part, and doing some other modificationss but I would have to bend the tips in or something.....Well its an idea. It would helps thousands of ppl. Whatca think?

Fubs

clayton

Not seen or heard of these slurp guns, - for catching fish right?? Like a giant syringe that sucks up the fish???
What r ppl?
Originally posted by FubR:
Yo Clayton,
I have a great idea, and this has to do with the damsels...You should make like a mini slurp gun that could fit in one hand and be easily used in small to large tanks. I was thinking of getting a large needle and taking off the needle part, and doing some other modificationss but I would have to bend the tips in or something.....Well its an idea. It would helps thousands of ppl. Whatca think?

Fubs