Here's A Good One For You...

flower1459

Dad and I are looking to purchase a 180g for a reef tank. Been looking around at all of the LFS, since it's a tank, not livestock - we only purchase fish from one trusted LFS...
Tonight - we make our second stop back at a store we just found today with my mother in tow to double check on a tank they had that we liked...
I see a book on Corals that I like and a female employee tells us (as she overhears us discussing the book) that it's the best coral book there is. She then proceeds to tell us that she has 4 tanks at home, etc. Good sign I'm thinking... you know how it is, testing out the waters of a new LFS. Fish seem to be healthy, although, tiny, associates own their own tanks, clean store, etc. But THEN - my father makes the mistake of asking if they sell live rock. (Our trusted LFS is a 45 minute drive away and going back and forth when starting a new tank is a little bit of a headache - trying to save some gas where we can.) The woman goes on a 10 minute RANT about how live rock is the WORST thing that we can put in our tanks. It brings awful things into your tank, it will crash your entire tank within 6 months, etc. blah blah blah. She then has the audacity to tell us to buy fake dead coral and DYE it purple to make it look like live rock.
I opened my mouth and all it took was one look from my father to shut me up quick. I'll tell you though - I didn't make it 6 inches out of that door when I started my own rant about who LFS are hiring to sell to SW hobbyists!
Thought you folks on here would appreciate my rant. It's one thing to sell you 5 tangs for a 50 gallon tank, but to tell me that live rock is the worst
thing I can put in a tank? WHAT?!
I wonder how many poor beginners have fell into her trap...

m0nk

I am honestly surprised. Cultured live rock isn't that hard to do and can bring in a lot more money than dead base rock. Eh well...

ajer

Also, I've seen FAKE live rock that more expensive than the REAL stuff....And it doesn't even look that great....And then some poor kid saves up his/her's money to buy it and then there tank crashes because THERE'S NO BIO FILTRATION IN PLASTIC!!!!!!!!!!
O, the power of money.....most LFS will do anything for it.

calaxa

Just curious what type of filtration she suggested if not LR. Were her 4 tanks at "home" all SW? Maybe she gets comission on selling canister filters.

keebler

Originally Posted by calaxa
http:///forum/post/2825936
Just curious what type of filtration she suggested if not LR. Were her 4 tanks at "home" all SW? Maybe she gets comission on selling canister filters.
believe it or not aerobic bacteria can culture on base rock and sand, actually anything with a hard surface even if live rock isn't used. The stuff is in the air and can find its way in your tank. However it is impossible for anaerobic bacteria to culture if there is nothing porous for it to culture in. In theory a tank doesn't need live rock to be a reef, but saying that it is bad is JUST PLAIN WRONG.