Here's an Interesting question/theory for EVERYONE!

danieljames

Out of pure curiosity....how many of you on this site are smokers? And or, have your tank situated in a smokey atmosphere? And or, sit in front of the tank with a cigarette every once in a while? If any......

dragonzim

Not a smoker anymore, but when I used to smoke I lived in a house with another smoker and we had 3 tanks, 1 FOWLR and 2 reef in the house. Never had any problems that I would attribute to smoking near the tanks.

morval

im a smoker but i dont smoke in the house. i dont see what would be a problem if u did tho as long as u dont ash in the tank, a little smoke on the water would do nuthing but add natural trace elements

scopus tang

I don't smoke, but I burn a coal stove in the same room as my tank, and I've never had any issues with smoke and the tank.

danieljames

Haha I'm laughing cause as we speak there is a anti-smoker lecture going on at the top of the board....my questions was based on the observation that the smoke from cigarettes was lingering above my tank...I could see it with the lights on....so I was wondering with all the chemicals found in cigarettes (including I believe ammonia) if there were any correlation between problems with the tank and cigarette smoke...just a theory I guess

wfd1008

use to sit in front of my tank and smoke. got married and the wife doesn't approve of either so now i've been banned from one and have to enjoy my camels outside.

puffer32

Hubby and i were both smokers and smoked for yrs in the same room as our tanks. We both quit, and I don't notice any difference in our tanks.

craig65

ther is a local bar that has a 250 gal reef tank in it that has $3000.00 worth of fresh air vents and fans supplying air from the outside into the the tank for the gas exchange on the water surface. the tank is an in wall display that has no access from the bar room. 2 or 3 people smoking in the house....no problem 2 or 3 hundred in a smoke filled bar BIG problem

craig65

Originally Posted by wfd1008
http:///forum/post/2523513
use to sit in front of my tank and smoke. got married and the wife doesn't approve of either so now i've been banned from one and have to enjoy my camels outside.
I'd quit the smokes before the tank

natclanwy

I was reading a similar thread on another forum and there were a couple of people there that said their skimmer would stop producing foam after they came home and lit up after being gone all day at work but returned to normal after the smoke had cleared the house.

candycane

After awhile it is possible that it can cause precipitation, almost like it is snowing in your tank. I don't smoke myself; but have heard a couple of stories about this happening. It might need to be in excess though.