Heres the plan...

bexleyfish

I have decided to leave my 35g at home while I go off to college. I am so addicted to this hobby tho, so im going to buy a nano and keep it in my dorm. I think I want to buy it half way through this year, get it established and then next year bring it with me for freshman year. QUESTIONS...
1) What size would you suggest? Im thinking of softies and a mated pair of true percs.
2) Should I cycle it with the LR in it or cycle then add LR?
3) Could I keep a BTA with softies in a nano?
4) Suggestions for a clean up crew?
5)Would it work to use all (or close to it) water from my DT instead of cycling?
6) Add coral or percs first?
7) Any thing im forgetting or any suggestions?
THANK YOU ALL!!!!!

nietzsche

Originally Posted by BexleyFish
I have decided to leave my 35g at home while I go off to college. I am so addicted to this hobby tho, so im going to buy a nano and keep it in my dorm. I think I want to buy it half way through this year, get it established and then next year bring it with me for freshman year. QUESTIONS...
1) What size would you suggest? Im thinking of softies and a mated pair of true percs.
2) Should I cycle it with the LR in it or cycle then add LR?
3) Could I keep a BTA with softies in a nano?
4) Suggestions for a clean up crew?
5)Would it work to use all (or close to it) water from my DT instead of cycling?
6) Add coral or percs first?
7) Any thing im forgetting or any suggestions?
THANK YOU ALL!!!!!
water is not going to have the bacteria youll need, most of it is in the sand and live rock. youre just going to be putting dirty water into your tank. id go with the biocube 14, its a good size, not big enough for anemone though-- perfect dark says the lighting like in a 29 is good for them, but just make sure you have an established tank
what about some cerith snails, maybe nass snails? i have hermits in my tanks, but they also like to beat up on each other and snails, so they probably wont be a good idea

nietzsche

Originally Posted by BexleyFish
I think my LFS has a 29 for $150 that may be the one...
will your dorm allow it?

m0nk

I wouldn't try to keep an anemone in something like a nano, personally. The stock lighting won't be enough unless you get it outfitted with a MH fixture and it'll move around quite a bite so you might have trouble with any coral you're keeping. Most soft and some LPS coral will do ok with the PC lighting that comes in most nano tanks, but if you get a 12 gallon Aquapod/Nano-Cube or 14 gallon Biocube the lighting ratio will be higher than 24/29 gallon models and you'll have better luck with everything. Hope that helps.

stephen33

im heading of to school this year and i though about it but dorm rooms really arnt big enough for a tank of any size. keep in mind that if you are in a dorm the only space that is really yours is ur bed and about a 4 by 2 desk i guess you could put it on ur desk and study on ur bed but also i wouldnt bring anything that you are in love with as things get thrown around and someone might think its funny to slip your fish some beer.

bexleyfish

That is exactly why im think of setting up a new nano so I wouldnt get my DT messed up. This si such a tough decision... I will prolly get a 150g out of college since I will be so thirsty for the hobby lol

peef

I have a 24g nano, I would recommend that. It is big enough for everything I want and small enough to fit anywhere I want. I have a fair amount of corals and a BTA and everything is doing GREAT! Check out my thread to see my pics. It will be more than enough....one thing though. I bought the nano with the standard lighting. Buy the MH upgraded model, it is worth it and you will end up buying it eventually anyway.

nietzsche

anemones arent good for small tanks, if you do everything right these guys grow big. some wont split either. i always hear about BTAs being okay under PC, i dont know who started this but why do you want to give something the minimal amount of what it needs? i dont know. well, good luck with the tank and let us know what you decide and how large your dorm is