Hermit Crab Identifications

wax32

You got a bunch of them cheap? If so they are probably red tips. I think mine hasn't grown because I had him in the sump for a while (he survived Hurricane Katrina there) and now that he is in the display he is scared of the big crabs.

wax32

Originally Posted by NM reef
Excellant thread....outstanding photos and very informative!!!

Thanks.

I'll try to get some more detailed info into the posts too. This is all just off the cuff as I am posting up!

bronco300

yea, i believe i got them all together pretty cheap....i cant remember, i think there was another time when i got some crabs, but have no clue where, and how much,etc

wax32

Originally Posted by SFE
I will be sharing the ones I have in a little bit.

Looking forward to it!

wax32

Originally Posted by CELACANTHr
AWESOME!
Great job wax!
Thanks. Is this thread what you were asking me to do?

celacanthr

Yes!
I know very little about hermits, and you seem to know so much about them, that I thought you would write a great thread about em.

wax32

I just ordered an out-of-print book called Tropical Pacific Invertebrates. I am hoping it has a little hermit info in it along with a few pictures. With my luck by invertebrates they mean corals! At any rate I hope it's a good book.

wax32

I have a couple more types of hermits in my tank ATM, I hope to get a picture and a blurb about them posted soon.

wax32

This crab courtesy of Adamc1303:
http://www.zooxanthellae.com
Dardanus guttatus
, "Blue Knee Hermit"
From the Indo-Pacific (Vanuatu is one collection site), these omnivorous crabs get large. I have seen them in 4 inch Conus
shells. Not considered reef safe. Not sure if it if from their eating habits or just that they get big and can bull-doze things. This particular one seems to be eating meat (like most hermits will).

Also eats cyanobacteria.